Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks. I’ve been a long time lurker to the forum but created an account recently because I’ve got an issue that has me and a couple of mechanics completely stumped.

For some context here’s some information about the Jeep:
2015 JKUHR
D44’s, 4.88’s, trussed, gusseted
37 BFG KO2’s
Original 3.6 with K&N intake (75,000 miles)

In January of 2019 I decided it’d be fun to spin a few donuts in my cul-de-sac since it snowed here in SC, and we don’t get it often so when we do, I do foolish things. The problem is, the stock power steering pump didn’t like working overtime with 37’s and it of course self-destructed on about the 3rd donut. I knew the stock pump wouldn’t last forever with 37’s so I wasn’t completely disappointed.

In order to remedy this, I decided to replace the stock pump with the PSC high flow pump. In doing my research I also replaced all of the lines at the same time to avoid the Teflon lining from gumming up the new pump and rest of the system. It should be noted that I did not replace the gear box with PSC’s box as recommended by the manufacturer because… well, it’s almost an additional $1,000 and the gear box itself hasn't given me any issues. It’s my belief that my problem is unrelated to this but I’m looking for insight from those more experienced than me.

Once the new PSC pump was installed I started getting this horrible vibration from the engine especially when the motor was cold and when placed in drive (under a load). If I put the Jeep in neutral the vibration would all but go away. Getting the Jeep to experience this vibration was hit or miss as it would only happen when I first started it and put it in drive. If I put it in neutral to get out to see where the vibration was coming from it would stop. This was of course frustrating.

I dealt with it for a few months and once spring came around the Jeep no longer vibrated and all was well. So, winter has rolled back around and the vibration has returned with a vengeance.

I read on several other Jeep forums that PSC produced at least one batch of pumps that had the pulley misaligned or not pressed on correctly. Thinking this may be the case and because I originally purchased the “no questions asked warranty” I decided to have a 2nd pump sent to me.

I took the Jeep and the new pump to the mechanic that installed the 1st PSC pump and when they went to work on it (it was freezing out) the Jeep was vibrating horrendously. The mechanic concluded it wasn’t the pump but rather the hydraulic tensioner that was causing the vibration. I had him replace the tensioner and when I picked it up on a warm afternoon I thought all was grand. No vibration. Fast forward to the very cold next morning and of course the vibration was back and worse than ever.

Having somewhat lost faith in the first mechanic I took the jeep to a new mechanic at 4Wheel Part’s here in Charlotte. I had the new mechanic swap the 1st PSC pump out for the new PSC pump. He called and said he believed this solved the problem because the bearings in the pulley on the 1st PSC pump were loose leading him to believe this was the cause of the vibration. He installed the 2nd PSC pump and it was now smooth as butter – come pick it up. Great… I went and picked up the jeep on a cold and rainy evening and you guessed it, when I started it the violent vibration was very present. I called the mechanic to the parking lot to see the vibration and he said it must be the hydraulic tensioner. I told him I just had it replaced by the first mechanic and he gave it a look and noted it is in fact brand new.

I should note the belt was replaced with the 1st and 2nd PSC pump installation and we used the PSC specified power steering fluid.

I’m now about $1,500 in parts and labor trying to eliminate this annoying vibration. The vibration only occurs when the motor is cold and under a load. Once the Jeep has warmed up you can barely tell it’s there.

I’ve got some crumby cell phone video of the vibration that I was able to capture which I’d be happy to send to someone if they can help upload it – if it might be of any help at all.

If you were in my shoes, what would be your next step?

·
Registered
92 Posts
My WAG is some type of obstruction in the steering gearbox that only manifests when cold.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Have you looked at the transmission mounts? Or motor mounts?

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/2016-wrangler-vibration-1522057.html
Bingo.

Definitely check motor and trans mounts and exhaust clearances too.

I used to get a nice rattle/vibe when cold and under load. In my case it wasn't because I have a shot mount, I just had so little exhaust to skidplate clearance. But it went away when warmed up. Spaced the skid out a little and now it's really 99.9% gone. I'm not worried, the Tuffy glovebox rattles and vibrates way worse than the exhaust even used to before spacing the skid out.

But yeah, I think you might be chasing the wrong issue with the pumps at this point and it's actually something else coincidental with weather, operating temp, and either the mounts or exhaust or both.

The cold weather exhaust vibe (until warmed up) is actually a pretty well known JK phenomenon. Even on stock vehicles. One of the first things to check is the trans mount and exhaust mounts.

Might help if someone can get under there while its happening and pinpoint where it's coming from.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you looked at the transmission mounts? Or motor mounts?

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/2016-wrangler-vibration-1522057.html
Bingo.

Definitely check motor and trans mounts and exhaust clearances too.

I used to get a nice rattle/vibe when cold and under load. In my case it wasn't because I have a shot mount, I just had so little exhaust to skidplate clearance. But it went away when warmed up. Spaced the skid out a little and now it's really 99.9% gone. I'm not worried, the Tuffy glovebox rattles and vibrates way worse than the exhaust even used to before spacing the skid out.

But yeah, I think you might be chasing the wrong issue with the pumps at this point and it's actually something else coincidental with weather, operating temp, and either the mounts or exhaust or both.

The cold weather exhaust vibe (until warmed up) is actually a pretty well known JK phenomenon. Even on stock vehicles. One of the first things to check is the trans mount and exhaust mounts.

Might help if someone can get under there while its happening and pinpoint where it's coming from.
I was able to get video of the event and where it’s Coming from. Will someone more knowledgeable about the forum allow me to text the videos (cold vs warm) so it can be posted here?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts