Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all.... i know you all know that sound when you steer in the cold.... any EASY ideas to shut it up a bit?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no its a rubbing sound from inside the cab like the steering column is rubbing on the cover or something im told its common

·
Registered
679 Posts
where the steering comes through the firewall, theres a rubber grommet, lubricate the grommet and the steering shaft and you're issue is pretty much gone, until it gets really cold out... any grease would work fine.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Mine squeaks, groans, when I first drive it in the cold. Goes away after a few miles. Sounds like it's in the steering column. Oh well.

·
Registered
679 Posts
nope, just stick your head down towards your pedals and look up underneath the dash, the firewall is right there and you'll see the rubber boot and the steering shaft, just reach your hand up there with some grease and lube her up.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Mine squeaks, groans, when I first drive it in the cold. Goes away after a few miles. Sounds like it's in the steering column. Oh well.
same symptoms and the OP i bet, throw some grease on it and you'll be good.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
nope, just stick your head down towards your pedals and look up underneath the dash, the firewall is right there and you'll see the rubber boot and the steering shaft, just reach your hand up there with some grease and lube her up.
You might wanna sweet talk her a little or she's bound to get angry!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Wow, this JUST happened to me. I was gonna post the same thing. I'll grease her up today! =)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Mine does the same, like it's right under the wheel. I can't figure out how to get in there easily. But it only seems to do it then it's in the 20's and dry. I'm thinking it's the plastic?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Check under your hood, along the steering shaft. You will see a splash shield (or something) there that gets stiff when cold and the shaft rubs on it. Grease that up. You may also want to put some grease around the input shaft where it enters the steering box. Moisture gets in there, causes corrosion (rot, some Mechanics call it) and scars your seal, producing a leak. Steering boxes for 2003 (no longer Saginaw) and newer seem prone to this problem. There's a big back order at the Dealerships here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts