Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a 2005 sport, 4.0 with a K&N filter on it. When I am at highway speeds I find I have to punch all the way down on the throttle to get to get moving and it feels like it is struggling hard to get going even if there is little to no wind on small inclines. I have tent trailer (1000 lbs) that I have pulled before with it and it struggles hard going up hill. Is there something I am missing? Thoughts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Put new plugs in it a month ago. other than that, just oil changes. A freind said he thought it might need the tranny serviced. Its an automatic

·
Registered
601 Posts
You probably have differential 3.07 gears. That is common on Sports. Jeep did this to get fleet mileage up. But it is a power robbing ratio for TJs. A better all around ratio is 4.10. And 3.73 is a compromise between fuel efficiency and power.

All of that is with stock tires.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
another voice in the wilderness....around town my TJ was fine...but nothing on the highway...got steadily worse finally took it to get checked out clogged cat 83K on the clock when it happened a few years back. The gradual lose in power wasn't noticeable in city driving.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I agree with Kilroy. My jeep jeep came with 3.07 gear ratio and I was running 33" tires. It's a 3spd automatic with 90k miles. It made it very sluggish especially small incline. A gear swap to 4:10 is a must to bring back the power.

·
Registered
31 Posts
hope you're running 87 octane...high test can rob you of power too

1 - 10 of 10 Posts