Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 4.0 tj driving today with ac on temp about 220 on gauge outside temp 97. Went inside store and came back about 15 min later temp gauge red lined then check gauges light came on. Took about 30 sec and gauge read about 220 again. I have had this jeep for many years and this is the first time this happened

·
Registered
542 Posts
Check coolant level, that's a classic symptom of low coolant.

Also, does it still have the fan shroud in place?

Is the fan clutch firm and greasy feeling?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Your rig is old and likely in need of a full cooling system overhaul. When was the last time you replaced the radiator, water pump, thermostat and radiator.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jeep was not running when I went into store. Last winter I put on a rebuilt head , cam, lifters, water pump, thermostat, timing chain and gears, the radiator was replaced 4 years ago. Engine has 140,000 miles. I did all of this because a lifter was knocking.. Was thinking about replacing thermostat with a 180.

·
Commercial Member
7,081 Posts
A 180 degree thermostat will not help anything..

What brand did you install last time?

You should only be using a Mopar or Stant superstat 195F non failsafe thermostat. Cheap parts store thermostats are known to fail and stick shut.

Also what brand radiator did you use? Many aftermarket do not cool as well as the factory Mopar rad.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not sure about thermostat. I think maybe carquest. All the other parts were mopar

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Removed the old thermostat today and tested it. Appeared to work fine. Working on putting in a new one on will let you know if that worked.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After changing Thermostat with a 180 its still runs at 210 not sure why. From what I can tell today runs fine with A/C off 210 but if turned on runs a little hotter about 225. I did put a pound of Freon in a few days ago. I am now thinking it may have too much Freon which would cause a additional drag on motor. I guess I could let some out. anyone Know the max psi ?

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Nothing in the OP sounds all that concerning. 220, in that kind of heat and with the A/C running, sounds pretty normal.

When you turn the Jeep off the engine is still putting out a lot of heat, but you're no longer circulating coolant or pulling air through the radiator. Coolant temps will always spike when you turn the engine off. 15 minutes is right in the windows where coolant temps will spike highest before. Hot ambient temps plus engine running a bit warm, does't seem unreasonable temps will keep climbing to trip the check gauges light.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm going to try royal purple ice. Heat index 105 today. If this doesn't help I see a bigger radiator in the future

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Nothing in the OP sounds all that concerning. 220, in that kind of heat and with the A/C running, sounds pretty normal.

When you turn the Jeep off the engine is still putting out a lot of heat, but you're no longer circulating coolant or pulling air through the radiator. Coolant temps will always spike when you turn the engine off. 15 minutes is right in the windows where coolant temps will spike highest before. Hot ambient temps plus engine running a bit warm, does't seem unreasonable temps will keep climbing to trip the check gauges light.
^ to the OP, you're trying to fix what ain't broke. Put the 195 back in.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Run a mopar radiator, G05 Coolant, and a 195 thermostat.

Sounds like you have subpar cooling system. I would completely flush whatever coolant you are running and put in G05, and a 195 tstat. Inspect radiator for rust too. Dont mix and match coolant as that can create a nice sludge in some cases. Someone asked and you never answered--hows the fan clutch and is the shroud in place?

Also as already stated--putting in a 180 thermostat does not make your engine run cooler.

Reactions: info4tim and sparky

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All the coolant was replaced with GO5 last winter. The problem is that it is so hot this summer it's getting hotter than normal. That is to say it's not in the red but its running about 225 or 230. We all know that 195 is normal. I'm just trying to get it back down. Two bottles of royal purple ice got it down to about 215 to 220. I'm going to let it ride for about a week and see how it works. If it doesn't work I'm looking at getting a bigger radiator

1 - 20 of 42 Posts