Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ended up having to replace the engine in my 2016 JKU due to a botched dealer repair. I got a good deal on a used short block and transferred most of my parts over. Finally got everything buttoned up but it won’t start. I get hot oil in the dash. Key on and off I can get it to turn over, but doesn’t even try to fire up. Looking at the menu in my cluster the tranny temp reads -58 deg. I can’t seem to find the sensor or any great direction to go in.

Any advice would be great, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Sounds like you have a bad coolant temperature sensor. The auto transmission temps does not display withe the engine off or in part, it's reading the coolant temperature under those conditions. The transmission temperature only displays in drive. Check the coolant temperature probe and wiring.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like you have a bad coolant temperature sensor. The auto transmission temps does not display withe the engine off or in part, it's reading the coolant temperature under those conditions. The transmission temperature only displays in drive. Check the coolant temperature probe and wiring.
That seems odd as I am getting a good reading on the coolant temp. Regardless I will have a look, thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a quick update. Coolant sensor tests good. In the info center when unplugged it displays dashes. I checked continuity on the yellow/orange wire between the TIPM and TCM and that good. Violet wire at TCM isn’t shorted.

Odd thing is that even when I have the TCM unplugged I still have the same reading for trans temp -58, and the hot oil error is there as well.

I am starting to think that this is being caused by something else.

With this light on should the Jeep start? It cranks but doesn’t fire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts