Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother's 2008 sometimes shows the "Hot Oil" trans temp warning when he's wheeling around slowly. I'm aware of the 2WD vs 4WD recommendations and external coolers and so on -- he never knew it was trans temp, he thought it was engine oil (imagine that). It happened while he was showing us some trails, he stopped and shut it off and opened his hood, and that's when I realized he didn't know it was the transmission.

Anyway -- I was thinking about it, I'm guessing it's probably better to leave the engine running to continue circulating fluids and running the fan, no? I don't recall reading anything about that either way. Or is the fluid pumped through the system as a side-effect of driving?

·
Registered
821 Posts
As long as the cooler is clean and can get the heat out yes totally better to keep it running.
If the cooler is caked with mud, you need to clean it and quickly.
Another reason to stick with a Manual.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
As long as the cooler is clean and can get the heat out yes totally better to keep it running.
If the cooler is caked with mud, you need to clean it and quickly.
Another reason to stick with a Manual.
Does the 2008 have an external trans cooler??

In any case, buddy of mine added an external cooler to his 2009 for that same reason. I would do the same OP...

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I sent him a link to that cooler (from some earlier thread) after I got home, he ordered it.

Just got to wondering about idle vs shutoff though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts