Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my jeep has 52 miles on it, I got it yesterday. This morning I'm driving to get bfast and the warning "hot oil" comes on the evic, and I get the warning noise. Well I pulled into a parking lot and turned it off and waited a few and restarted with no issues. Should I call the dealership? Seems crazy to be getting a hot oil light with 50 miles on it. Does molar offer a tranny cooler?

·
Registered
352 Posts
There are a couple other threads on here addressing this issue, and it relates to the tranny not the engine.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
65,238 Posts
So my jeep has 52 miles on it, I got it yesterday. This morning I'm driving to get bfast and the warning "hot oil" comes on the evic, and I get the warning noise. Well I pulled into a parking lot and turned it off and waited a few and restarted with no issues. Should I call the dealership? Seems crazy to be getting a hot oil light with 50 miles on it. Does molar offer a tranny cooler?
Hot oil light is transmission and not engine.
When equipped with a automatic transmission, your new model Wrangler should already have a trans cooler as standard equipment.
Check to see if the transmission is low on oil!
If it is at the correct level, then I would take it back to the Dealers Service department, because you either have a transmission issue, or you are getting a false warning.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hot oil light is transmission and not engine.
When equipped with a automatic transmission, your new model Wrangler should already have a trans cooler as standard equipment.
Check to see if the transmission is low on oil!
If it is at the correct level, then I would take it back to the Dealers Service department, because you either have a transmission issue, or you are getting a false warning.
My two cents....DO NOT CHECK the level. Don't do ANYTHING...except bring it to the dealer right away. They can check it and they can fix it on their dime. Bring it back. And insist to watch while they check it. If they forgot to do something or didn't deliver it to you with the right amount of oil (and you aren't watching) it could do damage (hence the warning light). Don't let them hand it back to you and say "it's all set, it was just a 'blip' in the electronics". Make it THEIR problem.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea im taking it in today. This morning when I started it to go to work the Hot Oil warning came on again, the jeep hadnt even been on for 30 seconds. Being it was 0500 and I need to get to work, I turned it off and back on. No warning, was 2 minutes into my drive when it came on again, I was looking for a spot to pull over and the transmission started acting up and the check engine light came on....... this is BS! The thing only has 65 miles on it!

·
Registered
781 Posts
This doesn't make sense, it could just be a faulty sensor. Shit happens, the dealer will fix it.
But he took delivery recently enough that he can return the jeep (depending upon state law). Given the option to fix or replace, I would go with the latter.

·
Registered
470 Posts
This doesn't make sense, it could just be a faulty sensor. Stuff happens, the dealer will fix it.
No way. Demand to watch them "service" it. If the oil level was low wen they delivered it to you....they can give u a new jeep or new transmission. It's horrible, but if you trust the dealership....prepare for even more bull****

·
Registered
531 Posts
No way. Demand to watch them "service" it. If the oil level was low wen they delivered it to you....they can give u a new jeep or new transmission. It's horrible, but if you trust the dealership....prepare for even more bull****
He's getting a "Hot Oil" indicator, not "Low Oil". My opinion is that it's a faulty sensor.

·
Registered
470 Posts
He's getting a "Hot Oil" indicator, not "Low Oil". My opinion is that it's a faulty sensor.
Hopefully its just a sensor, very well may be just that (however, low oil gets hotter). Wasn't trying to argue....my point is, demand to watch the service dept with your brand new jeep. Then YOU will know what was wrong. If its just a sensor, cool. If not however, then you have the correct info...to proceed properly. Trusting a dealership/service dept is like trusting the government :D

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Yea im taking it in today. This morning when I started it to go to work the Hot Oil warning came on again, the jeep hadnt even been on for 30 seconds. Being it was 0500 and I need to get to work, I turned it off and back on. No warning, was 2 minutes into my drive when it came on again, I was looking for a spot to pull over and the transmission started acting up and the check engine light came on....... this is BS! The thing only has 65 miles on it!
Sucky situation, but I think its a good sign that you got the message right away, because there is no way the trans overheated that fast. This is a bad oil temp sender or something along those lines, way better than a tranny that has been running too hot for the first few hours of its life.

·
Registered
747 Posts
r and the transmission started acting up and the check engine light came on....... t

Would a faulty sensor cause the transmission to act up or only send false readings?

I'd take it to the dealer and demand a replacement.. Who knows what gremlins could be lurking if it was a low oil situation in the tranny.. I know I wouldn't be comfortable with it at all.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
65,238 Posts
O.K., this should not have happened, but it did. Yes if the oil level is low, which causes less quantity than needed, per design, then the oil temperature will be hotter than normal.
You have a 5 year, or 100,000 mile warranty, whichever comes first to cover what ever has failed. Getting nasty with your Service Department will not gain you anything! Just be professional and explain your unhappiness that this happened at such low mileage. Then follow up and make sure that you understand what caused it and that when it is returned to you as fixed/repaired, that the issue no longer exists.
I also recommend that you make their sales manager aware of your unhappiness as to this low mileage issue.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Would a faulty sensor cause the transmission to act up or only send false readings?

I'd take it to the dealer and demand a replacement.. Who knows what gremlins could be lurking if it was a low oil situation in the tranny.. I know I wouldn't be comfortable with it at all.
Yes, a bad sensor can cause the trans to act up because the TCM is reacting to the (false) input. A "limp" mode if you will to protect the tranny.

John

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have been polite with them, got a little upset when they didnt call me back after they sadi they would. So I called at lunch. Because I work until 5 I wont be there until 6pm, so I told them I need a car to drive, the guy said no. I argued he still said no. So i said thanks and hung up, I called the guy who sold it to me and did some bitching and he squared me away. So we will see what happens. I think its a bad sensor, no way that right after I turn the vehicle on, that the transmission overheated in 2-5 sec.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have been polite with them, got a little upset when they didnt call me back after they sadi they would. So I called at lunch. Because I work until 5 I wont be there until 6pm, so I told them I need a car to drive, the guy said no. I argued he still said no. So i said thanks and hung up, I called the guy who sold it to me and did some bitching and he squared me away. So we will see what happens. I think its a bad sensor, no way that right after I turn the vehicle on, that the transmission overheated in 2-5 sec.
It amazes me how the domestic dealers generally don't hook customers up with loaners for repairs to vehicles under warranty. It is pathetic really.

·
Registered
820 Posts
It amazes me how the domestic dealers generally don't hook customers up with loaners for repairs to vehicles under warranty. It is pathetic really.
You're right! This is a super perk, and really does make a difference when I'm shopping a new vehicle.. I used to have an Acura MDX, and ANY time I needed anything, just request a loaner and it was done. Heck, I even took my son's '96 Acura with 165K miles in for repair.. BAM! New Acura TL to drive for a few days, whilst his was being repaired. That's nice.

I think the factory gives the dealers a good deal on the service cars, and then the dealer can put that car into his used car lot after the service term is over and make a handsome profit. It's really a win-win scenario

1 - 20 of 23 Posts