Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did some really nice dune-ing yesterday with the jku 12, and finished up the day trying to get up the top of a massive dune. When I say massive, I mean prob 200m vert rise. Anyways, I could have lowered the tire pix from 18 to around 14-15 and would have driven straight up. (Ill do that next time), but me and my brother were persistent in thinking our way up , angles, terrain, strategic like..

Anyways, about an hour into it, some serious reving gong on, and I get the "hot oil" indication. Obviously it'stalking about to auto tranny. Anyone seen this before? Temps were +36 outside... Anything to worry about?

·
Registered
694 Posts
It's just an indicator telling you to take it easy. If it didnt have a indicator light would have even thought about it? Indicator lights are a good thing, they can alert you of abnormal conditions so that you can adjust your driving to prevent damage. I use a app on my phone that tells me what my trans temp is at all times. Works great!

Since you were driving hard I would say your prob ok. If you were just driving down the street in normal traffic then their might be a problem.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Are you sure it was trans oil? Reason, in the 3.6 engines the PCM monitors engine oil temp and trans temp. If it was engine oil i would change it. If it was the trans fluid i would check the condition of the fluid. If it shows signs of turning dark, i would drop the trans pan and change the filter and fluid.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pretty sure it was the trans oil, as the truck has just had it 20k (kms lol, not miles) service.

Then again.. How does he indication differentiate between trans and engine? Yeah definitiaky ok, as it was copping a very serious *couf* drive. ; D

Just another testimonial that this thing is absolutely unstoppable.

Very impressed with the jku 3.6

Also credit how strong the front end is.. We drove off a sheer vert decline 1.5 meters (lucky dune sand gives way a little) and hit pretty hard, I thought for sure the front end would have bent something under there, but boy. It's amazing at the build quality underneath. (A pajero that was with us was not so lucky) No doubt the 2.5 inch lift and the Micky Thompsons took some of the brunt, but very, very impressed..

Love my JKU!!!!

My brother took some videos, ill share them when he gets home from his plane ride to holland with his little family.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts