Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I had a warning light today that I have never seen before. After doing an oil change and topping off my coolant I went to start my 2012 JKU and got a crazy warning light on my dash. I got a repeating warning sound and the dash read "HOTOIL". I double checked to make sure I didn't drain the tranny fluid or something dumb like that but it was all normal. I had to disconnect my battery to get it to stop. I thought it was just a bug in the system but it happened again later on while I was waiting for some at a McDonalds window. Has anyone had this problem and if so what is the fix? My Jeep is my only mode of transportation so I need it back bad.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Are you able to cycle through the menu to check your oil pressure? Did you use a Mopar filter or aftermarket? How many quarts did you put back in? What oil did you use?

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
"Hot Oil" is a transmission fluid warning. It could be as simple as a bad sensor. If the transmission fluid level is correct and there's no indication that there's another issue with it you probably will have to take it in.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Did you check your transmission fluid level?

·
Registered
225 Posts
You should be able to see the exact transmission temperature reading in your dash info center....whether it is accurate or not, I have no idea.

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
"Hot Oil" is a transmission fluid warning. It could be as simple as a bad sensor. If the transmission fluid level is correct and there's no indication that there's another issue with it you probably will have to take it in.
Though, it would be an interesting coincidence to have a sensor fail just while changing the oil.

I assume the OP didn't accidentally hit the sensor's wiring, and thus disconnect it?

Maybe it just a way of his Wrangler asking for a nice HOT OIL massage? :D

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Like what was said above, it's the tranny fluid. I had a recall on my 08 for this problem. The only thing they did was to activate the "hot oil light" on the dashboard. Then I actually experienced it coming on in real life as I was making a steep, long climb. Your owners manual describes what to do if this light comes on. Mopar now sells a tranny fluid cooler but it was not part of the recall. Pretty lousy of them to simply light up a light rather then fix the problem. I also wonder how many other times it would have come on before I had done the recall, I've had it and wheeled it since new.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Though, it would be an interesting coincidence to have a sensor fail just while changing the oil.

I assume the OP didn't accidentally hit the sensor's wiring, and thus disconnect it?

Maybe it just a way of his Wrangler asking for a nice HOT OIL massage? :D
Your guess is as good as mine and I think that's all we can do. It is a bit coincidental. The trans. hot oil indicator activating and changing the oil shouldn't be as common of a link to if it went off by turning on the radio. Maybe something was disturbed. Who knows. Since a 12 has an actual separate trans. cooler I would be surprised if the trans. fluid is overheated, unless it's developing a possible valve body issue.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Im guessing you have EVIC and you should be able to check your transmission temp. Any chance your tranny cooler is clogged with mud? Did you pressure wash the motor? I agree with all statements above. Its possible you hit a wire or connecter or could be a bad sensor. Check the obvious and go from there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts