Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live up in the Yukon and am looking at a rubicon 2013, curious how these fair on ice and packed snow!!! We dont get as much wnow as ppl think its to cold for it to snow lol.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Well, some will certainly say they are great...and they are...compared to a rear-wheel drive BMW, but mud tires are not really optimized for packed snow or ice. If you have a lot of that, I would suggest swapping tires...perhaps to something with studs. ;)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
There are lots of them running around Alaska. The traction control helps.

However, I'd recommend a Sport or Sahara with the limited slip option. That is a better combination for icy roads.

As for tires, I run studs and they do great.

Also, the 4 door jeep will do much better on the street than the 2 door. The short wheelbase of the 2 door means that if it does get sideways, it can be harder to catch before it's too late. The longer 4 door comes around slower.

Mike

·
Registered
250 Posts
... The correct tire and driving technique are the overriding factors IMHO...
x2 (just adding my .02)

The LWB is better than the SWB (I have owned both and one was a SWB Rubicon). Big, wide tread pattern, + snow/ice = the rubber turns into hockey pucks and is very slippery. It doesn't matter how much 4x4 capability you have because it has no function when trying to stop.

·
Grampie
783 Posts
The rubicon doesnt have limited slip differential?
It has electric lockers front and rear. Limited slip is an option on Sahara & Sport rears. All have Brake Lock Differential (BLD) a subset of the Electronic Stability Control System (ESC). BLD acts like a limited slip by applying the brake to the wheel spinning faster, thus forcing power to the other wheel, across an axle. this works on both front and rear axles.

·
Registered
121 Posts

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Wasn't last year's Arctic Edition based off of the Rubicon?
Nope, it was based off a Sahara....(no lockers or D44 up front, nor a 4:1 transfer case), but it did have the Rubi suspension (with the red shock boots) and Rubi wheels (in black).

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I live in northern BC and my Rubicon is great... On AT tires... The blocky MT tires that come factory on the Rubicons are pure chaos on packed snow or ice. For longer winters I'd recommend a dedicated ice tire. I don't run the Rubi much in the winter so AT does fine... On my Sequoia I run Goodyear WRT... Would have preferred Nokians, but they sell out all the time. The WRT is pretty solid though, and also studable.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I don't think any Wrangler will do well on snow/ice unless you have true snow tires; not just tires with the snowflake symbol or hybrids.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
We put studs in the factory Goodyear RSA tires on my wife's 4 door Sport. It has the limited slip differential and does very well in the winter. She does spend about 4-5 months of the year in 4hi.

Mike

·
Registered
448 Posts
Driving involves 3 main things, all of which become more difficult on ice/snow - Accelerating, turning, and braking.

Trucks and SUVs are at a disadvantage compared to cars because of their higher center of gravity and higher weights. The added weight and weight distribution make it harder to stop and turn, which seem to be the most important parts.

This may sound odd, but my AWD wagon (Volvo V70R) does waaay better than our Jeep Rubi in the snow and ice. It really isn't even close - those Swedes know how to build a car that is like a billygoat on ice and snow!

The Jeep does have 1 main advantage and that is toughness. In my old TJ, there were a number of times that I was stuck in stopped traffic because of a wreck ahead and I simply drove over a curb and median/ditch, to get to an access road. Sure wouldn't do that in the wagon.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts