Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have the dual tops and the hard top is on now and will stay this way for awhile so I need to store the top In a way on which it will stay very healthy.

I'm assuming keep it wrapped in the crappy little wrap it comes with and keep the material side up?

Would be nice to keep it out of the way with out having to deal with it for months.

Looking for some great ideas.. :punk:

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
No great ideas, but just pull it (brackets and all) off and use a small strap to hold it together and hang it on a couple shelf L brackets that I have heavily padded.

What I think is most important is that I roll or lay flat the Windows with soft towels. 4 years on, nary a scratch on them.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I bought that Smittybilt soft top storage bag. It's nice and I think it's something that should come with a dual top package.

Then I hired movers to come and haul it away in a semi truck and store it in a crate within a big warehouse. ... but that part wasn't intentional. Sold my house... moving.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Have the dual tops and the hard top is on now and will stay this way for awhile so I need to store the top In a way on which it will stay very healthy.

I'm assuming keep it wrapped in the crappy little wrap it comes with and keep the material side up?

Would be nice to keep it out of the way with out having to deal with it for months.

Looking for some great ideas.. :punk:
I have kept my soft tops hanging in the garage for five years now with no ill effects. two simple screw eyes on the wall hold it in a 'fabric-down', U-shape. The windows have been held up with very large clips (from an office supply store) screwed to a 1X4 attached to the wall. The clips that I am referring to look like the large plastic ones that are meant to hold chip bag closed, but they are metal. And it does not say "Chips" on them. Oddly enough in this day and age, there is no wording on them whatsoever.

This year there is a lot of renovation going on at home so the soft top is with my mountain bike 'temporarily' in my training room standing on the knuckles (on top of two folded towels at my wife's behest) with the fabric side leaning against the wall (with a towel between the top and the wall so as not to harm this very same wife's aesthetically important wallpaper) and the windows are spending the winter under my bed where the monsters, that my wife assures me do not live there, live. :happyyes:

I do not anticipate any ill effects from this 'one-time' storage option either.

If you can get "the crappy little wrap that it comes with" back on that might be nice. At least you would have a feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment were you able to do so and I suppose it could do no harm. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I keep the complete top, surrounds, etc., along with a top boot, and the front mesh screen panel in a Smittybilt top bag. Suspend it on the same home made platform the Hard top gets stored on in the summer.

Works great. The bag is stored so the windows are on top, and all the plastic & mounting hardware (in a ziplock bag) are hanging under neath.
No worries about mice, stuff getting banged into it, or stored on it.

Got the bag through Extreme Terrain.
Smittybilt Storage Bag - Wrangler Soft Top - Black 596001 (07-16 Wrangler JK) - Free Shipping

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I lay this thing under the bed, by the way it's still wrapped in all the straps that it comes with from the factory and I haven't taken it out of the crappy cover is this going to be wrong?
The bar is on it with a rubber maul ding and it most likely not smart to lay it on that side but if I do lay it might it get hurt??

·
Registered
209 Posts
If I lay this thing under the bed, by the way it's still wrapped in all the straps that it comes with from the factory and I haven't taken it out of the crappy cover is this going to be wrong?
The bar is on it with a rubber maul ding and it most likely not smart to lay it on that side but if I do lay it might it get hurt??
I guess your's would be a little different than mine. I have a Trektop NX. It doesn't have any bows like the factory soft top. Mostly just panels and windows. Laid it on old sheets so the windows don't get scratched and slid it under. But I guess that suggestion doesn't really help your situation with the top you have.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts