Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to order a 2014 sport with cloth seats. I noticed at some of the dealers the 2011-2012 cloth looked worn on the drivers side on the left side of the seat where you get in. It looked to me that it was turning white. For those of you with the new 2013 cloth seats, how are they wearing?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
May or may not help, but I think a lot of people get leather or buy seat covers both for the reason you're asking and for protection from the sun. There's a sticky above for info on cover options.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Mine had a few threads here and there but so far (3k miles) are holding up OK. I know 2013 had some issues but the stealerships were fixing them under warranty.

I'd rather have a frayed seat than a ticking head. (ooohhh it burns...LOL)

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I can tell you that the cloth seats on my 10 rubi still look new. Unfortunately, some don't or don't care to lift their butts off of the seat when they get out which causes what you are seeing. Maybe with some they're unable to based upon a lot of factors, but you can fill in the blanks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've only had mine since last November (7K miles) but they're holding up well, no noticeable wear and tear. That said, I'll probably spring for a set of Trek Armor's as soon as I see the first sign.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses everyone- guess I'll just have to be careful and take care of them. I'm getting a soft top and half doors so leather might be too hot as I'll have the top off most of the time.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I've had mine since last October and with 24k miles, the seats still look new. I'm thinking of covers just for when I'm muddy or dusty.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
15K already on my '13 and seats still look new

·
Super Moderator
23,185 Posts
14000 in 9 months and my 13 jku cloth seats look new no signs of wear at all.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Anyone with cloth leave their top down a lot? Wondering how they hold up to the sun. I'm getting covers eventually, but just curious how sun resistant the fabric/dye are.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Anyone with cloth leave their top down a lot? Wondering how they hold up to the sun. I'm getting covers eventually, but just curious how sun resistant the fabric/dye are.
Black cloth, Georgia sun, 12k miles, they've been covered in mud a few times, washed with a power washer at least twice (once for pollen), kids stepping on them to get in and out all the time, rained on more times than I care to admit. They still look brand new. No fraying or fading that I notice.

·
Registered
152 Posts
21,000 miles on my 2013 and they still look new. I'm pretty conscious about not sliding across the seat when I get in and out. Modern fabrics hold up very well compared to older cars. My wife has a 2004 RAV4 with cloth seats and 145,000 miles and they still look very good (and she has a big butt :hide:).
No tears or rips and very little wear.

The leather seats in our 2006 Mustang with only 45,000 miles don't look as good as either. Maybe because I haven't maintained them? I certainly don't do anything to the cloth seats. All of my future new vehicles will have cloth. Leather in south Texas equals sticky butt in summer and frosty butt in winter!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had a 2011 2-door Sport with the black cloth seats. After a couple years of use, that included off road in dusty areas, I sold it and purchased a new 2013 Rubicon with saddle leather.
When I was getting it ready to sell the Sport, I put the rear seat back in (it was covered in my garage from new) and it was very noticable how dirty the front seats were compared to the still new rear seat. I always kept the seats vacumed and never abused them but there was a certain amount of inbedded dust/dirt that wouldn't just vacume out of the material leaving it less than new looking.
Maybe some of it was fading but it was always garaged and never out sitting in the sun so that should have been minimal.
At any rate... I never really noticed it until comparing them to what they looked like next to the still new rear.
That prompted me to go with the saddle colored leather in the '13. The Rubicon leather is tough (not like the soft stuff in a luxary car) and easy to clean with a damp cloth and a good leather treatment occasionally. Personally I think it's getting better looking with use.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts