Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy plans on running 35s with 4.88 gears in the front and rear. It’s mostly a pavement princess. The BA10 seems to be in working order. Should he have any issues with this. Like I said he doesn’t wheel or trail ride at all. Just a mall crawler.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
the transmission nor the axles will not hold up to 35's your buddy has a lot of work ahead of him.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
^x2 above
Bought mine with 33's which apparently worked OK for PO. I went with 31"s when I bought new tires both for the fit and to reduce the load on the tranny. My motor is strong and while I'm good on the pavement, I'm just waiting for the BA/10 to grenade when I'm out on the trail. AX-15 is most def in the works for the future, I didn't like the 33's, wouldn't even try 35's, even with a re-gear, I could feel it in the shifter. That trans was originally used in a Renault car the size of a VW bug. Not thinking it was designed to pull Heavy 35's

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the front and rear have been referred to 4.88. The 4.2 was professionally rebuilt bored and ballenced. I suppose his concern is will it handle being driven on the weekends to car shows and whatnot. I know he does zero off-roading as he 17 inch fuels that he treats like heaven.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
sounds like he should have bought a JK if he just wanted it for looks

Reactions: Got it at last

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
I suppose next he'll be asking you what kind of winch he should get.:)

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm gonna go against the grain here and say he'll be fine, and actually with the 4.88s the load on the running gear is same or lower than stock.
I've heard the reverse is the weakest in the BA10 and should be used gingerly.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
^x2 Mine groans like I'm asking too much of it. LOL

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have BA10 on 33s lifted 4". It does pop out of reverse if I don't hold it in gear. I was told that it pops out because of the geometry of the shift lever against the shift boot.

I don't feel any weakness in reverse or any other gears with stock drivetrain on 33s. It gets out of the hole fine but 5th gear is useless except flat ground or downhill. 4th hums along a 55-60 and 2000 rpm.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was wanting some big fat tires for my yj, but the 31's with stock diffs will have to do for now. Anyone want to donate some danas 44's and slip diffs I would be very happy to buy the big fat tires lol.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
His wheels are 17x12 and the tires are them semapffroad look and have maybe 3 inches of stretched side wall. It is so hard asking people questions on this form because everybody feels that if you have a jeep you should be rock crawling. I guess it’s just hard for some people to realize that some of us just really like the look of the jeep and have zero intentions of abusing the hell out of them. I know a guy right now that put 510 gears in the front and rear of his YJ and run his 40s all day long on a Dana 35 and Dana 30. He’s even blown 2 4.0’s at the mud pit in Lakeland Fl

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Teardown and rebuild if the Ba10.

https://youtu.be/nd8fcuXut0g

I always hated this youtube channel and knew these guys were idiots. Who in their right mind does a "cheap jeep" build and pays $2,400 to rebuild a BA10 instead of swapping in a brand new AX15HD :rofl:

Reactions: rushwal

·
Registered
451 Posts
I watched a YouTuber today who said... "Thanks for supporting me on YT and Patreon so I can afford to do stupid things and post them on YouTube."

Reactions: agalloch07

·
Registered
391 Posts
I had a BA10 with 33"s and it worked fine, no problems at all off road, I eventually changed to an AX15 because I found a good deal on one. Your friend will be fine for his use

·
Registered
3 Posts
Heeeeelp I have a 1989 YJ Wrangler with the 4.2 my tranny tha ba10 is done..what tranny from what jeep and year can I replace it with I need help

1 - 17 of 17 Posts