Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've joked on here that I wanted 35's but its finally happening. I've placed my order with DT and the 15 inch level 8 wrapped with 35 inch MTR's will be here next week.

I got what I wanted... yay.

Now for the reality of the situation. I've already looked on the chart and already see that my current setup is less than ideal for 35's. As it stands, I'm at 4.10 pushed by the 3.8. How bad is it going to be considering this thing is already stupid sluggish? Currently, I have what look like to be 32 inch tires, maybe just under.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
It will be...even more sluggish. I would definitely regear before you put the tires on.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Auto or manual? Do you wheel it? If so what kind of terrain? Rubicon t case?
There's alot of vaiables that will determine the outcome

·
Retired Moderator
100,578 Posts
I've joked on here that I wanted 35's but its finally happening. I've placed my order with DT and the 15 inch level 8 wrapped with 35 inch MTR's will be here next week.

I got what I wanted... yay.

Now for the reality of the situation. I've already looked on the chart and already see that my current setup is less than ideal for 35's. As it stands, I'm at 4.10 pushed by the 3.8. How bad is it going to be considering this thing is already stupid sluggish? Currently, I have what look like to be 32 inch tires, maybe just under.
^^^You are not going to like it......:nonono:

As the above Post #2 suggested, re-gear!!!!! If you have a manual 4.88, if auto 5.13.......:thumb:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Technically speaking, its more of a Mall Crawler as I'm in Houston and trails a very limited. It is my DD. 07 Sahara Unlimited Auto.

I already know its going to be sluggish, I'm just wondering if its going to be unbearable until I re-gear. It sees very little highway.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts

Looks like with the auto you're at the very edge of "acceptable". With the Manual, it's a bit better. Save the regear money, stack the tires in your garage and trade it in on 2015 ;)

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Technically speaking, its more of a Mall Crawler as I'm in Houston and trails a very limited. It is my DD. 07 Sahara Unlimited Auto.

I already know its going to be sluggish, I'm just wondering if its going to be unbearable until I re-gear. It sees very little highway.
I think that info makes a big difference, there are many people running 35's with worse gears that aren't too bothered by its performance.
Don't get me wrong, I'm very pro-regear but in the end a person's uses will have a big impact on what's acceptable or isn't.
I have people local to me running 35's and 37's on everything as high as 3.21 gears, and they regularly wheel locally at 3-6000ft above sea level. Is it ideal? No, but in their opinions it is tolerable until they regear. Just know that it will not drive like stock and keep a regear in the back of your mind as the difference is huge!

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
It's not like your Jeep will stop working but how bad depends on you how much patience or tolerance for poor performance, specially because you have the 3.8. I seriously doubt you would buy a new JK if it performed the way. If all you care about is driving off road, it won't be so bad but on the highway on hills and passing situations it will be very noticeable. Saying that someone else does it is no justification for a poor practice.

This question comes up often and most owners are just looking for justification to avoid the expense. It seems like many are willing to spend on tuners, exhausts, and variety of contraptions to increase engine performance but they won't the simply right option: the right gear ratio.

Try it and see how you like it. If don't then regear.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I ran the 3.6 with 3.21 and VERY heavy Toyo Open Country MT's and it was acceptable. I would think that the 3.8 with 4.10's would probably be similar. I just regeared to 4.56 but that was only because I have 3 trips to Colorado coming up and I knew that altitude+steep grade+3.21's was a recipe for disaster.

Not sure what the MTR's weigh but I know KM2s and Duratracs are light compared to the tires I run. My tire/wheel combo weighs 110 lbs each. Tire/wheel weight will be a factor in how sluggish it feels too.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Fact is this is a very opinionated question. Throw them on and tell us your opinion.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did Sahara's ever come with 4.10 gears? Are sure it's not 3.21, sounds that way to me. A 3.8 with 4.10 gears should be pretty snappy with only 32" tires.
4.10 is according to the build sheet however calling around to diffract shops today for regear quotes reinforced my suspicions that I may indeed have something much higher.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Did Sahara's ever come with 4.10 gears? Are sure it's not 3.21, sounds that way to me. A 3.8 with 4.10 gears should be pretty snappy with only 32" tires.
Yes some early sahara models came with 4.10 gears, I think they were part of the tow package.
As for the gearing charts google "jk gearing chart" and they'll pop right up

·
Registered
60 Posts
Looks like with the auto you're at the very edge of "acceptable". With the Manual, it's a bit better. Save the regear money, stack the tires in your garage and trade it in on 2015 ;)
In what gear for manual would you see those rpms? My guess would be 4th correct? Don't think the chart says.

I'm with a 08 JK Sahara myself, on 35's with 4.88 and its been great for me. It's my DD and do some off road. Thinking 37's maybe..

·
Registered
378 Posts
All 2007 JKUs with the auto came with 4.10 gears.

I know. I have two of them... One is running 35" Toyo MTs (super heavy tires) as my daily driver. 4.10 is less than ideal with the 35s, but it's not unbearable. It's fine around town, not-so-much on the freeway.

I do plan to regear in the near future, but only because I've got a 2500# boat to tow.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts