Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assuming I have a system that consists of a 60w RMS per channel amp driving 4 5.25 coax speakers, and that I'm not looking to blow anyone off the road with volume...

I want to mount one or two subwoofers in the front panel of a tuffy cargo box (the side facing the back of the front seats).

Can anyone make any recommendations on size/number of subs, and an appropriate amp to drive them?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The box itself is steel, 3ft wide, 16" tall, and 2ft deep. The plan would be to essentially build a sealed enclosure out of MDF, and secure that inside the Tuffy box (with appropriate hole(s) cut to match.

Here's a stock photo pic -

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Off hand, I would say a 250-300wattRMS amp, to power 2-10" subs, which will allow about 150wattRMS per sub. The power rating I decided on is based on a ratio of my Alpine PDX-V9 which gives 100wattspeakers/500watts sub. Alpine actually sells a perfect single 5/channel amp for 60wattRMS Speakers. It's the MRX-V70.

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

Or, the Alpine MRV-M500, is a 4ohm 300wattRMS mono channel amp.

Alpine MRV-M500 Mono subwoofer amplifier — 500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms at Crutchfield.com

For a smaller amp you might try the JL with the same 300watts of power.
JL or Alpine are probably your top choice of amps.

JL Audio JX500/1D Mono subwoofer amplifier — 500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms at Crutchfield.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts