Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just back from Colorado - Imogene, Ophir, Alpine Loop and more - and there were plenty of times my 08 JK was shifting way up to get up the mountain as we drove in on the highways. Those long slow grades were murder - puttering along at 45 and then the engine would shift way up to 5K rpms and I'd wonder if I was about blow my tranny across the highway!

I re-geared before the trip (which I think saved me) but it really sounded like the tranny was working hard on those hills.

It sure made me think about the transmission and how to help it (or save it). My buddy has gauges in his 2020 Rubicon. Are they worth putting in? Would it help me see a problem before it was a disaster?

What about a tranny cooler? Worth the install?

The Jeep did great on the trails. No real issues. But on those highway hills it did lumber a bit ... ideas and thoughts on what to do to help my tranny?

·
Retired Moderator
100,754 Posts
B&M oil cooler will help.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Gauges aren't going to help, they'll just let you know when it's hot. You could add a cooler, but there's already one built it. Downshifting like it did is better than the trans staying in a higher gear when pulling hills. You're working your engine more than the trans and the higher RPMs means the trans fluid is circulating through the cooler faster, too. I think your year of JK will let you know when trans temp gets too hot. A message will appear on your odo area.

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
I’m using a ScanGuage II to monitor a few items including my transmission temp. As noted, it is just a way to keep a check on it.

·
Super Moderator
16,389 Posts
Our Jeeps aren't built for highway hills, that's for sure. The trans cooler and the A/C condenser are both blocking the radiator and super heating the air we send to the radiator. So basically everything runs as hot as possible.

But, adding an auxiliary trans cooler and an auxiliary oil cooler will always be better than not having them. Sadly, we don't have a lot of real estate to add these things on our Wranglers, that doesn't compound the problem we already have.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Did you resolve this?? When you are pulling long highway hills can you take yours out of OD? Thats what i would do to help it............Right now I always run mine around out of OD What gears did you put in what size tires

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you resolve this?? When you are pulling long highway hills can you take yours out of OD? Thats what i would do to help it............Right now I always run mine around out of OD What gears did you put in what size tires
After reading through the advice here I decided to let it alone. Gauges don't really help. I prolly need to put a cooler in but haven't yet. I"ll try taking it out of OD. That's a good idea.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Since already regeared (what gear btw, I find on mine that the lower end of recommended is best, I’m at 5.38 for 37’s...) Second that on killing OD in the mountains, that should help a good bit, I’m told (and logically makes sense) the gear hunting is hard on things. An arguable insane and not necessarily recommended strategy to further aid is forced induction. My SC helps a lot on highways and at altitude, 45 MPH is NOT my limit even going over a pass. Getting it dialed in was not fun however. Also note for clarification on prior poster, and you may know all this anyway AND someone correct me if I misstate this - JK’s pre-‘12 have a factory cooler as part of the AC condenser but no auxiliary cooler. I believe Mopar recommended for our years to add an auxiliary cooler if the vehicle had overheating problems (many seemed to, or at least there was tons of forum talk) and in 12+ added a stock auxiliary cooler stock. I added a derale on my build to deal with similar heat build up issues from all my mods. Adding the derale made a big difference for me on those long highway pulls where I used to nervously watch my engine temp climb and climb.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Since already regeared (what gear btw, I find on mine that the lower end of recommended is best, I’m at 5.38 for 37’s...) Second that on killing OD in the mountains, that should help a good bit, I’m told (and logically makes sense) the gear hunting is hard on things. An arguable insane and not necessarily recommended strategy to further aid is forced induction. My SC helps a lot on highways and at altitude, 45 MPH is NOT my limit even going over a pass. Getting it dialed in was not fun however. Also note for clarification on prior poster, and you may know all this anyway AND someone correct me if I misstate this - JK’s pre-‘12 have a factory cooler as part of the AC condenser but no auxiliary cooler. I believe Mopar recommended for our years to add an auxiliary cooler if the vehicle had overheating problems (many seemed to, or at least there was tons of forum talk) and in 12+ added a stock auxiliary cooler stock. I added a derale on my build to deal with similar heat build up issues from all my mods. Adding the derale made a big difference for me on those long highway pulls where I used to nervously watch my engine temp climb and climb.
Look at this cooler............
Derale 15800 Electra-Cool Remote Cooler
Or just go to a B&M Super Cooler it will fit up front.......

.It is a remote mount it wont fit in between the grill and radiator...........

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
Definitely, a aux trans cooler for the 3.8 auto makes a huge difference. That was one of the first mods I did to my 08 back in 08.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts