Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can i tell if my jeep has a factory amp and wired for a sub? I opened the plastic in the passenger rear and these are the plugs i found does anyone know if it has a factory amp and wired for a factory sub? i like the stock look and found an alpine factory sub for a good price. Does anyone know if i can just plug and play?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
That looks like aftermarket speaker wire tied into the stock wiring. Stock sub would have wires that look like the other stock wires and a plug. You can pull the cover off that is under the steering wheel and see if there is an amp in there. It lives on a metal plate under the steering column. Also, you can punch in your vin here and see if it was part of the original build...only way to get it.

https://jeep.custhelp.com/app/jeep/eqlisting_detail/session/L3RpbWUvMTM5MzY0MzI4OC9zaWQvWGxOMmc2T2w=

That might be the best way, plus you will learn all the stuff that came with it, in addition to axle gearing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Yea the speaker wire I used to wire my back up cameras. I just need more bass. Any suggestions on a sub that doesn't take up space?

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Here is the wiring code for the connector. I have been trying to find time to take an old speaker and tap the wiring to see if it is live.

Subwoofer (+/-)
(1) gry/brn - dk grn/brn
(2); gry/wht - dk grn/wht

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
How can i tell if my jeep has a factory amp and wired for a sub? I opened the plastic in the passenger rear and these are the plugs i found does anyone know if it has a factory amp and wired for a factory sub? i like the stock look and found an alpine factory sub for a good price. Does anyone know if i can just plug and play?
If you don't have the upgraded stereo (Alpine, etc.), you don't have a factory amp and the vehicle isn't wired for a sub. The power plug for the sub is there, but none of the other wiring is.

·
Registered
987 Posts
If you have a late model JK then the wiring for the sub is already there and, as you don't have a sub, you most likely don't have an amp either. Attached is the wiring diagram for a '15 with the premium sound system. There are 8 speaker wires feeding the sub on a late model JK but without the amp the speaker wires are dead.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts