Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes i'm new here, and to Jeeps, and to offroading, and to automotive work in general... So if I say anything stupid, forgive me! :9lame:

Just got a 04 Sahara and the dealership guy said it had a 5 inch fabtech longarm lift. How can I confirm this? I know it is fabtech because it says it on the front shocks. And it has 35 inch mickey thompson baja mtz on it, if that helps.

Wandering because I want to purchase new shocks and I have learned that lift determines what shocks to buy. If it is indeed a 5 inch longarm, what are the best on/offroad shocks? .. for the money!

And what would you guys recommend doing to it? I'm talking basic care!?! Tune up? Oil change? lube everyhting up?(It is a little squeeky) Check the brakes? Remember i'm new to all of this so go easy on me!... please

Oh and i'm Rob, HOWDY

·
Retired Moderator
28,211 Posts
go ahead and post up a pic of it, we can help you better if we can see it(and we just like pics on this forum)

also you can measure the height of the bumper off the ground, and compare that to stock height.

just fyi, just cause it says fabtech on the shocks doesnt mean thats who its from.

·
Retired Moderator
28,211 Posts
i just popped over to the fabtech website. if it is from them, it would have to be a 6 inch kit. also all the lift hardware is going to be blue

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can't post a pic right now but I will tomorrow!

Nothing is blue, all black, and white shocks! There is also boddy armor (not sure if thats the right term?)under the middle that says fabtech. I saw the blue kit too, and thought maybe it is the new kits that are blue and the lift may be a few years old... I dont know?!

·
Registered
759 Posts
No they wont be blue, I have a fabtech and its black springs, its good you have skid plates. Check to see if you ahve D44 in the rear with those 35's. honestly theres pictures posted up of what they look like but I cant tell you what they are off the top of my head. D44 do have a metal fill plug though, if its rubber then its nto D44

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's dark here in florida haha but I will tomorrow. Does it make a difference which ones I have? I saw a post on here with all of them listed with pics but I dont remember where?!

·
Retired Moderator
28,211 Posts
well i thought it was all blue, but i guess they are black to. i guess it could be a 6 inch kit. the dealer just thought it was a 5.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I seriously dont think they make 5" suspension long arm. Maybe 4"+ 1" BL or somethign but if he thinks its 5" then hes an idiot...unless of course he thinks it was a 6" and it sagged down to 5". But from my previous experience with dealership mechanics they dont know shit.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
Gotta remember...dealers aren't mechanics and even their mechanics aren't necessarily trained in aftermarket stuff for the vehicles they work on...so either they'll make something up based on their best guess or they'll take the previous owner's word when it comes to aftermarket modifications.

·
Registered
76 Posts
First off, welcome!

OK, for the pictures, we need to see:

1) the lower control arms. On each side both axles you'll see two control arms, one above and one below the axle, attaching the axle to the frame.

2) the tops of your coil springs. This will show if there's a coil spring spacer lift installed

3) the tub mounts. this will show if there's a body lift installed

if you can post these three pictures you should get some pretty straight answers on what type and how much lift you've got

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm at work now, but as soon as I get home i'll put her in the back garage where i can get some light for decent pictures! I'll take a bunch of pics! And that chart will prob help big time! Thank you for that catITguy!

Any reccomendations on shocks and springs to get? Best for the money preferrably! I do want to get colored parts to add some life under there! I was thinking old man emu shocks and steering stabilizers! Do they sell the springs in yellow also? .. and are they a good brand?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
According to that chart I measured 18 inches on the front springs and 14 on the rear! So apparently I have a 6 inch fabtech lift kit!

What shocks should I buy? I know I may not need them but I want to replace as much as I can, to keep track of everything I do from here out. Shoud I also get steering stabilizers? and new coil springs?

What would you guys do to an 04 jeep that you just purchased? Like what kind of basic automotive care?

·
Registered
76 Posts
OME shocks always get great reviews. I've never run them, but I've never heard anything bad about them.

As far as buying a used vehicle, I like to give anything used a good, complete service. That means all fluids (tranny and both diffs, coolant and oil), fuel and air filters, plugs, and, depending on the condition thereof, a new battery. One other thing to look at is the radiator. I bought my '99 with only 51k on the odometer, and it needed a new radiator because the factory gurus decided to use plastic/metal radiators that tend to leak.

Last thing you need to do is take her out and get 'er reeeally dirty :punk:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.