Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, so far I'm liking the new jeep and can't wait for summer to enjoy it more. Few questions. 1st off, I plan on towing this jeep behind my motorhome. So there is a front tow base plate, as well as a rear trailer hitch for a small utility trailer I use around home. I've heard some conflicting things from people as to the factory capabilities for going off-road. The only real mods I plan over the next year or so are some 33s. Not sure of lifting due to it being towed behind the Moho. I'd like to do some beginner/ light trail riding with the family while out on trips. I'm thinking this should be fine for these types of trails. What are your thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Here's a pic of both

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi all, so far I'm liking the new jeep and can't wait for summer to enjoy it more. Few questions. 1st off, I plan on towing this jeep behind my motorhome. So there is a front tow base plate, as well as a rear trailer hitch for a small utility trailer I use around home. I've heard some conflicting things from people as to the factory capabilities for going off-road. The only real mods I plan over the next year or so are some 33s. Not sure of lifting due to it being towed behind the Moho. I'd like to do some beginner/ light trail riding with the family while out on trips. I'm thinking this should be fine for these types of trails. What are your thoughts? Thanks

The stock JKU will probably go places you are too afraid of trying. Now getting through those with no damage is another story.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Stock JKU is very capable, just be aware of your ground clearance and type of trail surface for the tires you are riding on. I have seen and driven stock JKU's go thru amazing obstetrical. The saying, "don't fallow me, you won't make it" is so true.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
Stock or heavily modified, either way is only as capable as the driver.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I cant speak of the topic at hand as I have no experience with the JKU's. I would like to say hello however, as Im just a few minutes away from you down in Wayne County!

:drinks:

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
I can't address your towing questions, but I can offer some advice as someone new to the Jeep world. A stock JKU will do alot. I drove mine through a lot of light trails and small obstacles, without a problem. Better tires are a good idea, as is improving ground clearance. It all depends on how you plan to use your Jeep off road. There is no reason you can't enjoy some light off roading with a stock Jeep.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
A stock JK with open differentials with the right tires for the conditions and driver will go further then a locked JK with the wrong tires and driver. Tires are key so ditch the factory originals and enjoy the ride

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
When people ask "how good is a stock jeep at offroading?" It's like asking "how good is a pickup truck at hauling stuff?"

It's the primary function of the vehicle, and 99% of the time it's perfectly capable, but you can always exceed it's capabilities if you try hard enough.

·
Registered
548 Posts
My first off road experience was with a class at Rausch in PA. Kudos to Kyle and Offroad Consulting and Driving!

Tame trails with a bunch of short obstacles to 'get though'. Tested your reaches without getting you stuck in the middle of a mine field...lol

The second time, I went with a group. Tackled more difficult trails and some really sketchy stuff for my stock (ok, not 100% stock, I did have a budget lift). But, for the most part, stock compared to their 35 inch tires, and 2"+ lift kits.

There were some 'pucker' moments as we climbed though rock fields with no escape route possible. I was provided a lot of spotting which was great. There were a few locations where I could go around the real trouble spots, while they crawled though.

I did sustain a rear differential injury which was discovered after I got home. Rather easy repair, but, a repair none-the-less.

I did have sway bars disconnected, and avoided "hey, think I can make that?" spots. I did not get stuck, but, another Jeep did..bwahahahahahaha

The key is:
-Not going by yourself
-Go with people who have experience
-Let the more experienced/modded vehicles go first though unknowns
-Take all feedback and spotting though technical areas.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the responses. I know I'm losing some clearance with the front baseplate setup as well as the rear with the stock hitch. I'll have to look for a class to go out and enjoy the trails with some experienced people.

·
Super Moderator
10,623 Posts
My dealer organizes quarterly runs for owners to explore their Jeep's capabilities

This is my stock 2009 JKUR 6-speed at a dealer-organized run, a few years ago

A customer in a stock JK X with Rubicon wheels and tires

Another customer in a stock JKU Sport; mall tires and all

That's the Service Manager in his trusted old CJ

·
Registered
191 Posts
Throw on some 33s and wheel spacers and call it good. Honestly, with the type of wheeling that you are talking about I wouldn't even come close to worrying about it. Maybe down the road you will want to get a LSD or something but wheel it and see what you need. You may not "need" anything.

·
Registered
898 Posts
...Few questions... I've heard some conflicting things from people as to the factory capabilities for going off-road.

The Wrangler is designed and built for going off road. It will also function on road to a degree.

...The only real mods I plan over the next year or so are some 33s.

Why 33s? Why not ATs in the stock size? Why not 37s? Where did you get the idea for 33s and why do you think that is the best choice?

...I'd like to do some beginner/ light trail riding with the family while out on trips.

Swapping tires to an AT would be all that is necessary for this.

...I'm thinking this should be fine for these types of trails.

Your thinking is correct.

...What are your thoughts?
I might suggest that you swap tires out to something like the BFG KO2s in the stock size (255/70/18 if you have the 18" wheels) and try to find some take-off Rubi rails (or something like them).

That's it for the Jeep.

Then you will need to gain experience off roading. This comes freely and easily immediately after you first need it. Alternatively you could wheel with a group of experienced and sensible Jeepers a few times to learn some basics. Another option might be to get some more qualified off roading instruction if available in your area.

That's enough to get you started.

If planning to be out with the family on light trails for the day be sure to have a full tank of fuel and to bring plenty (more than enough) to drink and eat, a mobile phone, and some TP.

Any other possible gear or mods will make their necessity or value clearly known to you over time.

Stay safe and have fun! :happyyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts