Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seems like such a basic dilemma, but still.... I bought the AMI Locking Billet Fuel Door. Instructions are simple enough - drill 3 holes in the plastic shroud. But the included sheet metal screws are long enough to go into the body of the jeep (the metal). Am I supposed to be drilling into the metal, or do I just go buy shorter screws, or what? I feel like I'm missing something super obvious here...

thanks for any experiences/ideas.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In case anyone wonders how this came out: I talked to AMI. The customer service person read the instructions back to me (nice) and said, no, not thru the metal. I remained skeptical and finally got that person to agree to talk to AMI's R and D department; AMI called me back a few hours later and confirmed: it's NOT intended that we drill thru the metal of the jeep. and oops, but so sorry that it looks like we included the wrong screws with our door.

I went to the hardware store and started backing down in screw length. The door came with one inch screws. I tried 3/4, then 5/8, but finally learned it takes a 1/2 inch screw to affix the new fuel door without hitting the metal of the jeep.

The end!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts