Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What models have people been installing for rear receiver bumpers?

How many connections are made to the frame?

Were the tow hook mounting points utilized?

Did it tie directly to the frame of require an intermediate bracket?

4 bolts on the frame only (left & right side brackets) or were there connections to the cross member like the cutsie little z-clips on the OEM plastic?

Were additional holes required to be drilled on the passenger side?

Looking into different options & would like to hear some installation stories. Pics are always....well recieved.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I'm looking at rear bumpers and tire carriers right now too. :popcorn:

I'd like a rear bumper with an integrated 2" reciever and tire carrier. Those are my only 2 requirements. There's no shortage of choices from my cursory research. LoD, JCR, and ACE are just a few.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^^ So your receiver is still mounted to the crossmember, not the frame? Is the receiver attached to the bumper oris it a separate piece? It looks to be welded to the bumper. I assume your bumper is bolted to the frame w/ the 4 factory threaded bolt holes?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm looking at rear bumpers and tire carriers right now too. :popcorn:

I'd like a rear bumper with an integrated 2" reciever and tire carrier. Those are my only 2 requirements. There's no shortage of choices from my cursory research. LoD, JCR, and ACE are just a few.
2" receiver is mandatory for me too. I would also like to see something that mounts mainly to the frame to put the load on the chassis not just the crossmember. Even my old Liberty had a better mounting system than this joke. :nonono:

The Jeep pulls adequately with the stock type hitch but it makes me nervous just thinking about the poor design. My primary trailer weighs about 1700 empty so I'm not too worried about hitting the 3500 mark very often, but I do see myself doing a few large loads - dump runs, metal runs, etc.

Saw you asked about the C-gussetts & axle removal crieria. From what I have found (not having installed them yet myself) you have to pull the ball joints out to make the welds. That pretty much makes you pull the axle. I plan to do the upgrade when the ball joints go.

Some day I plan on learning how to weld...

BTW, love your wheel & tire setup. Going to put on 33's myself when the stock BFG's wear out.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Our Crusader Series bumper utilizes the factory receiver and mounts around it. This is the best way IMHO to use a receiver on a JK.
Is that because most integrated receivers don't maintain the factory tow rating? That is a must for me. I like the clean look of the integrated receiver, but will have to ditch that if I can't tow up to the max rating.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Saw you asked about the C-gussetts & axle removal crieria. From what I have found (not having installed them yet myself) you have to pull the ball joints out to make the welds. That pretty much makes you pull the axle. I plan to do the upgrade when the ball joints go.
I actually confirmed on Synergy Suspension's website that you can do the install with everything intact. I'll just have my welder take great care to avoid the delicate parts. I just put in an order for the SS C Gussets.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^^ I would be worried about heating up the ball joints & grease but then again my experience is limited to JB weld & super glue. Every time I've used a cutting torch it turned into a signal flare.

I will defer to Synergy's experience but the tickle in the back of my mind still says uhhhhh you sure about that? Knee jerk reaction says it sounds like a bad idea.

Then again, I like taking things apart.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
^^^ So your receiver is still mounted to the crossmember, not the frame? Is the receiver attached to the bumper oris it a separate piece? It looks to be welded to the bumper. I assume your bumper is bolted to the frame w/ the 4 factory threaded bolt holes?
Our bumper mounts using the 4 threaded side bolts, two 5/8" bolts into the side of the frame and than two 1/2" bolts through the rear crossmember.

You can see our installation instructions here:
http://jcroffroad.com/install_guides/Jeep_JK_Rear_Bumper_Installation_Instructions.pdf

Is that because most integrated receivers don't maintain the factory tow rating? That is a must for me. I like the clean look of the integrated receiver, but will have to ditch that if I can't tow up to the max rating.
Yep. Exactly the reason. Plus, when you move the receiver up into the bumper you will need a bigger drop hitch to level out the trailer. Leaving the factory receiver in tact is a no-brainer as it's a good design and easy to work around.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
The ACE retains the factory tow rating with the integrated hitch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts