Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont have much money and really cant afford a regear if i dont have to so im thinking about swapping axles from a 4cylinder onto my 4.0 i am doing this cause i need the 4.11 gears from the 4 cylinder and this will be the cheaper route. I am going to run 32 inch tires. My question is how hard will it be to take off the full axles from a 4 cylinder and put them on my 4.0 wrangler. I dont have much mechanic experience but i will have my friend helping me and he use to be a mechanic so we will know what were doing. Also i am going to have to get a lift whats the minimum i can get so i can clear the 32s without rubbing i will be doing mild offroading. Will a 2 inch lift be ok or should i go with a 3 inch lift. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
You should be able to do a 2" and not rub, but iit depends on the tire width too. 2" also enables you to keep the stock rear driveshaft and likely not force you to get a transfer case drop or SYE. Normally 3" or larger you will. As far as switching, it would be easier to just take the gears out and swap them, but that takes some mechanical skills and special tools. An axle swap is decently straight forward, I think the hardest part is the brake system. What rear axle do you have now? This will help if you aren't sure :

axlechart.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tire width will be 11" My rear is a dana 35 right now it is geared at 3.07 You said it would be easier to take the gears out and swap them i thought it would be easier to swap the complete axles. The hardest off roading i will be doing is going up mountains in new mexico and colorado nothing extreme. So with a 3 inch lift i would definitely have to get a new rear driveshaft and drop the transfer case? This whole jeep stuff is new to me, thanks for the help/

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
The axles will be 10 times easier to swap than the gears. They take special tools, time, and lots of experience. The axles are pretty straight forward. 4 control arms, trac bar, sway bar, and brakes. This can easily be done at home with basic tools and know-how and is the preferred route for people going with 31-32" tires on the 4.0 if an 8.8 swap isn't possible. Gear swaps are expensive and shouldn't be done at home with out prior experience. As for your lift, if you leave your sway bar connected and get proper back spacing on your rims, 2 inches should clear with minor trimming. 3" would be the safer route but like mentioned before, you may need to install a transfer case drop kit due to driveshaft angles

1 - 6 of 6 Posts