Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, and I'd like to know for sure what axles and ratios I have. How does one determine that?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
They come standard with the 3.21 axle, Dana 30 front axle, and Dana 44 rear axle. You can also contact the dealer or go to jeep.com and request a build sheet.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Could not find a place to request a build sheet, well except to build to buy. I'll give my dealer a call.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can use www.moparownerconnect.com and log in to see your vehicles info online.

Not to hijack the thread but in my case i have an 08 jkur i know from factory it has 4.10 but how can i confirm this by looking at the actual gears?
Count the teeth on the ring gear, count the teeth on the pinion. Divide the number of ring gear teeth by the number of the pinion teeth.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can use www.moparownerconnect.com and log in to see your vehicles info online.
I went to the site, logged in successfully, but I can't find anywhere that indicates I can get vehicle info. My Jeep is listed as 'my Jeep' but there doesn't seem to any kind of equipment list, etc. that shows how my Jeep was built???

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Enter your vin in the URL here after the =

http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=

This will tell you all options that came on the jeep from the factory including the axle ratio.
That took me to what looks to be a search page with many, many listings, none of which seem to what we're looking for.

However, I did finally stumble across the page in the MoPar link that listed my Jeep's equipment and build.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
You can also mark the driveshaft with chalk or something, throw it in neutral, and spin a tire by hand while counting how many times the driveshaft rotates.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can also mark the driveshaft with chalk or something, throw it in neutral, and spin a tire by hand while counting how many times the driveshaft rotates.
Actually that would work, but it would be off by a factor of two due to the action of the differential. I.e. if you have one wheel locked and the other jacked up and free to rotate.

·
Super Moderator
22,058 Posts
easy way to tell for someone with stock tires is check your rpms at 70mph in 6th gear if manual and 5th if auto.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
easy way to tell for someone with stock tires is check your rpms at 70mph in 6th gear if manual and 5th if auto.
That wouldn't tell you your gear ratio, unless you know what rpm each ratio should produce at 70mph.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea, good luck with that. MoparConnect is by far the biggest POS website i have ever been on.
The Mopar link worked for me as well. I did have to hunt around some, but I found my options on my Jeep.

·
Registered
155 Posts
well it worked for me quick and easy once i entered my vin it knew my jeep info and after clicking around i was able to get my build sheet
I've tried to set up a profile on that site about 6 different times. Each time when i enter information for my Wrangler and hit save i get this...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,058 Posts
That wouldn't tell you your gear ratio, unless you know what rpm each ratio should produce at 70mph.
that information is out there all over the web. I have found these to be accurate if you measure your tires.
Jeep Wrangler JK Gearing Charts - Resources - Articles - Articles - Tennessee Jeeps

If you have stock tires on your sahara and at 70mph you are just under or close to 2K rpm you have 321's if closer to 2250-2300 rpm you have 373's in an auto. The other more expensive way but ultimately the way you will find out is when you put 33-35" tires on and it if is gutless and the tranny hunts for the proper gear then you probably have 3.21' lol.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,676 Posts
It's very simple, to do, without dis-assembling, or draining your oil!
And I am agreeing with Post number 9!!!

Jack up both rear wheels, and put your trans in neutral. Put a piece of masking tape across the tread on one tire. Next put a piece of masking tape on one spot on your rear drive shaft. Turn your tire and wheel 10 full revolutions, stopping in the same place that you started. As you are turning your wheel through the ten turns, be counting the drive shafts revolutions. It's easy to see, because of the tape.
So Example: At the end of the full 10 wheel revolutions, your driveshaft had 41 revolutions, then you divide 10 into 41, which tells you that you have a 4.10.

That's all that is to it........:thumb:

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
that information is out there all over the web. I have found these to be accurate if you measure your tires.
Jeep Wrangler JK Gearing Charts - Resources - Articles - Articles - Tennessee Jeeps
LOL....I agree...
Once you've been here long enough and gone through a million axle ratio threads...you basically know the numbers by heart. Without looking at the link...

If you are on stock tires....with a +2012 auto at 70mph, 3.21's will be around 1950 and 3.73 will be just under 2300.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I've tried to set up a profile on that site about 6 different times. Each time when i enter information for my Wrangler and hit save i get this...
try the link i posted earlier. when you click the link it will say no vin provided. go the the address bar and enter your vin after the = sign in the url then hit enter. Works for me every time and you don't need to login or create an id or anything. here it is again...

http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=

1 - 20 of 27 Posts