Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an extra 16 GB flash drive that I copied 3000 songs to. It plays just fine through the USB port in my 2012 Sport S. What I need to do though is organize it better. Anyone know how I can have my jeep recognize it by artist or setup playlist?

Thanks

Joshua

·
Commercial Member
2,013 Posts
There's a member a couple post down that found an app for this. I haven't had time to look into it but he says it works great.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/usb-drive-playlists-on-media-center-130-a-131168.html

I have an extra 16 GB flash drive that I copied 3000 songs to. It plays just fine through the USB port in my 2012 Sport S. What I need to do though is organize it better. Anyone know how I can have my jeep recognize it by artist or setup playlist?

Thanks

Joshua

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I saw that and tried it. couldn't get it to work. Guess I'll have to mess with it some more.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The software from the other thread works. If I get a chance this weekend I will post how I used it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is the process that I used.

1. In itunes convert all songs to AAC (.m4a) format
2. Create playlists in itunes
3. Export playlists using the settings in the attached image.
4. Copy the contents of the itunes export folder to your flash drive
5. After you insert the flash drive into your usb slot play with the buttons. On my 130 RES the 1 button will list the playlists. The tuner dial allows me to scan through and pressing it will select the playlist. I haven't realy played with teh other buttons.

Joshua

Attachments

·
Commercial Member
2,013 Posts
Very cool, thanks for the information on this. did you have to use the program that was listed on the other thread? Do the songs have to be in the mp4 format only. I have mine set for mp3 in case I want to use them for other mp3 players. (My music files are in my windows media player also) If I try to copy them to an mp3 player that my kids have, it doesn't seem to work if it's mp4. Thanks again for the help.

Here is the process that I used.

1. In itunes convert all songs to AAC (.m4a) format
2. Create playlists in itunes
3. Export playlists using the settings in the attached image.
4. Copy the contents of the itunes export folder to your flash drive
5. After you insert the flash drive into your usb slot play with the buttons. On my 130 RES the 1 button will list the playlists. The tuner dial allows me to scan through and pressing it will select the playlist. I haven't realy played with teh other buttons.

Joshua

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Great...Itunes only...guess I have to look at replacing head unit too!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you can copy mp3's but since the do not contain album info they get grouped into one big playlist. the only way I got it to work was creating an AAC (m4a) verions in itunes. Remember that when you create the AAC you still keep the original MP3.

And that screen shot is from the software in the other thread.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well the playlists work great but I noticed that there is no album info. So not I am on a mission to fix this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
When you copied the songs over did you just paste in all the songs onto 1 folder? I have a USB stick that I use in my Jeep and all I did was create folders on the USB drive for each playlist/genre/album/etc that I wanted to go through and that worked fine..didnt have to mess with itunes or any other media player or software

EDIT: I guess this isn't working for everyone.. if you haven't tried it this way yet I'd say go for it before getting any software or anything

·
Registered
342 Posts

Thanks

Joshua
How come I don't have a USB port on my radio....it has a MP3 input jack that works great, but nothing else that I can see?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Above the input Jack there should be a cover that flips open to reveal the USB port.
Nope. Must have came out later or with a different radio. This one is Sirius, no GPS and says 6 disks, MP3, and WMA. Not even sure what they mean by WMA.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The USB port on my 2012 RES130 is inside (towards the bottom)the storage box between the driver & passenger seat. Its not on the stereo head unit.
Not there either and thinking that this might have came about with the new interior of 2011. Maybe someone else with a prior model will chime in here.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts