Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Proper gearing is the main thing. Once you have that get more air into and out of the engine

·
Registered
571 Posts
What a bunch of smart asses... (and I mean that with the most love and respect I can gather...)
I have a 2.5l and it gets me everywhere I need to go. And I can drive back and forth to work (15 miles each way) all week and use about 1/2 tank of gas. In my XTerra that would be a full tank of gas and maybe a little extra.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
It is shame such great old motor design takkes such a beating about power and speed in the YJ. I actually started to enjoy driving again albeit much slower. With 4" lift and 33s on 4:10s I get around town OK and slow on the interstate but I find it much more relaxing than racing all over. Great on the trail it will climb walls. It would be nice to have some more power but its a Jeep.

431 Posts
jokerchief462 said:
It is shame such great old motor design takkes such a beating about power and speed in the YJ. I actually started to enjoy driving again albeit much slower. With 4" lift and 33s on 4:10s I get around town OK and slow on the interstate but I find it much more relaxing than racing all over. Great on the trail it will climb walls. It would be nice to have some more power but its a Jeep.
I agree I love my 2.5L

·
Registered
113 Posts
I don't hate my 2.5L just would like a bit more highway pull. As far as power goes for upgrades there isn't a whole lot other than forced induction, internal upgrades in which these seem too much money for the gain, motor swap is cheapest IMO

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
What a bunch of smart asses... (and I mean that with the most love and respect I can gather...)
I have a 2.5l and it gets me everywhere I need to go. And I can drive back and forth to work (15 miles each way) all week and use about 1/2 tank of gas. In my XTerra that would be a full tank of gas and maybe a little extra.
Agreed, I get around 18mpg. It cruises fine with 4.10's, 5 speed, and 235/75's.

I love how your, big on hating the 2.5l why ?
I'm not hating. Nowhere in this thread did I say "I hate my 2.5L". It's just that sometimes it gets a little boring, be nice to have a different type of power under the hood. I've always wanted to do a 3.9L Cummins 4BT.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
When I got my first 2.5 I really was disappointed compared to nay of the inline 6's I have had. After the re-gear to 4.88's and almost a year behind the wheel, it has grown on me quite a bit. It does great off-road, but will never be much on the highway compared to a 6 cyl. no matter what gears you put in it. Gearing makes it much more drivable for everyday use for sure.
To answer your question.......... gearing is by far the best gain I have found for the 2.5. Especially with larger tires. This also helps bring the economy back for the fuel mileage. I am getting approx. 18 mpg with 4.88's and 33" tires with mixed driving.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
No faith in Toyota, huh? 236hp and 266ft. lbs. of torque, seems to be working VERY well in newer Tacomas and FJ cruisers. Plus the bolt on TRD Supercharger, which outputs to 304hp and 334ft lbs of torque, more than a small block V8 :)

431 Posts
Xpress said:
Agreed, I get around 18mpg. It cruises fine with 4.10's, 5 speed, and 235/75's.

I'm not hating. Nowhere in this thread did I say "I hate my 2.5L". It's just that sometimes it gets a little boring, be nice to have a different type of power under the hood. I've always wanted to do a 3.9L Cummins 4BT.
Ok we'll if its boring u should thought about that before u bought it, but I think the diesel would be pretty cool

1 - 20 of 84 Posts