Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my JKU on Friday. How do I get these wrinkles out? Tried to unzip and can't figure it out. Thank you in advance.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
X2

·
Registered
50 Posts
Here's what worked for me-
(1) Remove them.
(2) Place them flat in a nice fleece window bag.
(3) Roll them up and put them in the basement.
(4) Retrieve them on September 15th and see how they look. If still wrinkled, put them back on, wait until March, 2016 and repeat.

·
Premium Member
4,954 Posts
First nice looking Jeep. Good choice 1/2 doors. When the top is down and the uppers are off it is almost like you are doorless. No big metal frames hogging your freedom.
Those wrinkles don't look normal. It looks to me like your soft top frame is bent down in the back. That would make the windows have those wrinkles. Take it back to the dealer. He may tell you it will work out in the heat but at least you got it on record. I may be wrong but is it like that on the other side?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First nice looking Jeep. Good choice 1/2 doors. When the top is down and the uppers are off it is almost like you are doorless. No big metal frames hogging your freedom.
Those wrinkles don't look normal. It looks to me like your soft top frame is bent down in the back. That would make the windows have those wrinkles. Take it back to the dealer. He may tell you it will work out in the heat but at least you got it on record. I may be wrong but is it like that on the other side?
Thank you.
The other side has similar wrinkles, maybe slightly less but very similar. The frame is symmetrical and doesn't appear to be bent in any way. I've seen others with similar wrinkles while others nice and flat. I have a sense that this has more to do with the sunrider top itself and not the side windows. I think that the top is too tight, not allowing the frame in the back to get fully square. I'm hoping that with warmer weather and a little wear, the top will stretch a bit, allowing the frame in the back to open more square and eliminate those wrinkles. Hope this isn't just wishful thinking.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I dunno - seems like the rear of the roof is sagging 1 inch - been so long since I've had the soft top on, but I seem to recall it being more 'straight' - might be something to look into and would explain the crease where it is....

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
It looks like it's still chilly where you are located, what with the snow on the ground. If you want to take it back to the dealer to have your concern on record, that's probably a good idea. I still think you may see some improvement once it warms up.

We got one day of snow here last year, so my weather doesn't compare to yours, but for Texas it was pretty cold last year. When it WAS cold, my brand new soft top was a :censored: to deal with. It was to the point where all my groceries would go in the back seat, just so I didn't have to mess with the rear window. It was just too tight. It hurt my fingers at times trying to get the damned thing zipped back up. I was starting to think I didn't like my soft top....

By April when it finally warmed up and stayed warm and dry for several days in the forecast, we folded it completely back. When it was time to put the top back up when the rain was coming, I could DEFINITELY feel the difference the heat had made. And I didn't brake three fingernails putting the back window back in. :D

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I agree I think it will relax once the warm weather hits. The tops really do stretch out over time.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I spoke to my salesman about this issue, sending him pictures. He walked around his lot of new wranglers with soft tops and took pictures of them. It appears that many of them are like this, the third photo here being worse than mine. Hoping this is really just an issue with the cold weather here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts