Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to Jeep ownership, as I have just purchased my first Wrangler. I'm still trying to identify all the mods the previous owner made to my beloved 2015 JKU Rubicon, which I have dubbed Tin Man. So far I have identified the bumpers as Smittybuilt XRC Gen 2s, the wheels as Pro Comp 17" wrapped in Mickey Thompson Baja Boss LT315/70/R17 (35" x 12.5"), Tyger Steps and Tail Light covers. I think the carrier is from Rough country, and I'm not sure where the flat fender flares and inner fenders came from as well as where my LED Headlights (with RGB halos) my grill (which I think is called a shark grill). But my biggest mystery is my lift kit. All I know about it is that it's a 4inch lift and that it has Fox shocks.
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Sky Land vehicle

·
Super Moderator
2006 TJ Rubicon, 4.0, automatic
3,123 Posts
If you can take some close up pics of the suspension components, that will help in identifying, possibly, what lift brand you have. If there are part numbers those will help greatly.

·
Registered
585 Posts
If the springs, control arms, etc appear to be gold/bronze coated they may be Metalcloak, if they are black then they could be from a variety of venders. The Fox shocks wont help identify them much as they come with a number of kits and are added/installed in many others as a better quality shock upgrade. Also, most Rough Country mods have a RC cut/stamped into them somewhere. The fenders look very similar to the RC fenders on my 2013.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Wow what a sweet looking jeep. I wouldn't mind going to AZ with that one. Usually I tow mine to Albemarle NC where I have a hunting membership in 1500 acres bordering the Uhwarrie St Forest. I don't care for hunting anymore, but the place is invested with trails. I have one of those tents with a stove inside that my brother liberated from the Army for a deer camp. My great grandchildren go hunting while I am chef and bottle washer. The hunters here petitioned the governor for another month of deer hunting season and he asked what we going to call it. Call what governor? The month. You ******** already hunt 12 months a year you going to have a 13th month in the year have to call it something.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I'm new to Jeep ownership, as I have just purchased my first Wrangler. I'm still trying to identify all the mods the previous owner made to my beloved 2015 JKU Rubicon, which I have dubbed Tin Man. So far I have identified the bumpers as Smittybuilt XRC Gen 2s, the wheels as Pro Comp 17" wrapped in Mickey Thompson Baja Boss LT315/70/R17 (35" x 12.5"), Tyger Steps and Tail Light covers. I think the carrier is from Rough country, and I'm not sure where the flat fender flares and inner fenders came from as well as where my LED Headlights (with RGB halos) my grill (which I think is called a shark grill). But my biggest mystery is my lift kit. All I know about it is that it's a 4inch lift and that it has Fox shocks. View attachment 4532311
Depending on how old the jeep is, and how long ago the parts where installed, you may be reduced to "it's an X inch lift", or even "I think it's an X inch lift".

·
Premium Member
17,009 Posts
Yup. Get a pic of the shocks. Coils may still have tags with number or other identifiable marking. @Pressurized is the resident lift identifier :D
Thank you for the kind words!!

Yes @Gr3ndl3r get us a few photo's of the brackets and bump stops, like rear track bar bracket, etc. I can ID almost any lift kit by the brackets and bump stops. Also what was done for caster correction? If cam bolts or geo brackets or even control arms, easy to ID whose they are.

Silver springs gets us down to Rubicon Express and Rough Country pretty quickly... Another odd MFG here or there, but very unlikely to see those. And between RE and RC they do things very differently on brackets...

·
Super Moderator
2006 TJ Rubicon, 4.0, automatic
3,123 Posts
Can you get pictures of the front track bar brackets? That is another place many lift kits have a bracket.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Depending on how old the jeep is, and how long ago the parts where installed, you may be reduced to "it's an X inch lift", or even "I think it's an X inch lift".
It's a 2015 Wrangler JKU Rubicon I know it's a 4" lift because the springs are 13 5/8" tall. After seeing the bumpstop, I know it's a Teraflex, but I have no idea when the lift was put on.

·
Premium Member
17,009 Posts
Looks like a Rough Country 2.5 with Teraflex spring spacers added. I see no bump stops added, no caster correction, nothing for brake lines, no track bar bracket, etc. I'll be frank, that is poorly built. Will cost you nearly as much to make it right as it would to buy a new complete lift kit.

What are your intentions? Budget?

Without bump stops added, your shocks will eventually get damaged if you off-road. Without caster correction, it will wander on the freeway. Without sway bar links, you risk flipping the sway bar off-road which can damage a lot of parts. In the rear, you have no rear track bar bracket which means your axle is off center and you lack roll center correction.

Lots to do...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks like a Rough Country 2.5 with Teraflex spring spacers added. I see no bump stops added, no caster correction, nothing for brake lines, no track bar bracket, etc. I'll be frank, that is poorly built. Will cost you nearly as much to make it right as it would to buy a new complete lift kit.

What are your intentions? Budget?

Without bump stops added, your shocks will eventually get damaged if you off-road. Without caster correction, it will wander on the freeway. Without sway bar links, you risk flipping the sway bar off-road which can damage a lot of parts. In the rear, you have no rear track bar bracket which means your axle is off center and you lack roll center correction.

Lots to do...
Well, that's not what I was expecting. I haven't even made my first payment. I was looking to have a nice overlanding rig. Not looking to go to moab or anything like that, just something to daily and maybe take to the lake.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok enough whining, on to damage control. I like my 35's and I like the height of my lift, but if I gotta chose between the two, I want to keep the 35's. So that said, what do I need to do to fix it? Or do I need to scrap it and start over?

·
Super Moderator
8,696 Posts
Ok enough whining, on to damage control. I like my 35's and I like the height of my lift, but if I gotta chose between the two, I want to keep the 35's. So that said, what do I need to do to fix it? Or do I need to scrap it and start over?
Best results would likely be to buy a quality 2.5” lift with caster correction and run that with the 35’s. For around $1200 you can get a nice 2.5” lift.
I would look at an AEV 2.5” lift with a set of Rancho geometry brackets, or a MetalCloak 2.5” lift with geometry brackets and a set of their RockSport shocks. Either one should set you back around $1200. And you should be able to install your self or get some local jeepers to help.

·
Premium Member
17,009 Posts
Ive been out all day and just got home... Let me look again in the morning and make a "damage control" post for you. There are some economical tricks we can do.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts