Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock 97 YJ with the 2.5l engine and 5 speed trans. It is all stock except for a gale banks header the rest of the exhaust appears stock. It has 133,ooo miles and is mechanically sound. I am only getting around 15 mpg. I have checked the speedo against a speed ap and it is spot on. Do you Jeepers have any ideas on how I can get the 19 - 20 MPG I should be getting? Most of my driving is rural generally 55 to 60 MPH.

The only none stock exterior items on my jeep brick are the Big Light bar over the wind shield, Brush guard and nurf bars. Could these items be ruining the air flow and mileage.

·
Registered
532 Posts
The light bar isnt helping, how much its hurting may be minute, but non the less. Tire air pressure, tire type, driving habits all contribute. Even still you might be looking for something that really isnt there. 15/18 is about all I got in any of the CJ/YJ/TJ's Ive owned. The Cherokees IIRC I pulled 20 on a 1000 mile trip.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,387 Posts
I have a stock 97 YJ with the 2.5l engine and 5 speed trans. It is all stock except for a gale banks header the rest of the exhaust appears stock. It has 133,ooo miles and is mechanically sound. I am only getting around 15 mpg. I have checked the speedo against a speed ap and it is spot on. Do you Jeepers have any ideas on how I can get the 19 - 20 MPG I should be getting? Most of my driving is rural generally 55 to 60 MPH.

The only none stock exterior items on my jeep brick are the Big Light bar over the wind shield, Brush guard and nurf bars. Could these items be ruining the air flow and mileage.
Rural driving won't get you its full potential mpg, that requires you be mostly on the highway. With mostly rural driving I'd be happy with 15 mpg.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The light bar isnt helping, how much its hurting may be minute, but non the less. Tire air pressure, tire type, driving habits all contribute. Even still you might be looking for something that really isnt there. 15/18 is about all I got in any of the CJ/YJ/TJ's Ive owned. The Cherokees IIRC I pulled 20 on a 1000 mile trip.

I guess The way I drive I expect to be getting the mileage advertised by the manufacturer. I generally drive it easy, the tires are inflated properly ect. and it seems to run correctly. I guess I have it stuck in my mind this small jeep and engine should get better mileage than my full size GMC 6,000 lb truck with a V8...

·
Super Moderator
2,725 Posts
It’s normal. I got the same mpg in my 1997 2.5 as my 1998 4.0 (both 5-speed manual) Around 16-17 mpg.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Advertised mpg was an epa rating based on a bone stock vehicle driving in ideal conditions on the fuel available then.... our fuel now isn't as good....

15 mpg is damn good for a 4000 lb vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick... a few years ago someone established that a cow was more aerodynamic than a jeep....
The chevy truck is far more aerodynamic too.... that matters far more than weight....
Think about it this way.... what takes more effort to move as high speed, a wagon with 20 lb of rocks or a 20 lb deployed parachute?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Although your in the norm for mileage personally I've found some of the high zoot spark plugs to be detrimental to mileage or performance. Kinda funny decades ago I worked for a mega car parts importer who was owned by a German family. Bosch platnum plugs just hit the market and the CEO of the company had me install a set of them into his Cherokee. Off on a ski trip he went, returned and told me to put the old plugs back in as he lost 3 mpg. I did, it went back to normal. I also had the same experience on a 4x4/350 suburban. Went from 8 to 6mpg, back to 8 with the old A/C plugs. I know many folks dont like Champions, but that's what D/C recommends If i'm not mistaken. Guess the heat range on the Bosch just weren't right, who knows.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Over-sized tires and MT tires will degrade MPG. If you have the stock tire and they are properly inflated there's really not much you can do to improve MPG. 15 is about what I think you can expect to be getting on the Jeep in city driving.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I got 20 mpg with my 2.5L, but I only drove it downhill. :) Honestly, the 4 cylinder mileage isn't any better than the 4.0 because the rpms have to be so much higher to get anywhere. I had one once...…………………….

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How old are the spark plugs and air filter?

You really won't get much better though.

The air filter is new and I cleaned and regaped the plugs just to make sure they were correct.

I am thinking I will try some Injector cleaner and a tank of premium to make sure the injectors are clean.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Most 22 year old vehicles don't get the advertised mpg...

·
Knows a couple things...
49,387 Posts
Injector cleaners are huge $$$ makers for retailers but they are very seldom needed because FI systems very rarely get dirty with today's US gasolines. Really. The EPA mandated that all US gasolines contain enough cleaning additives to keep the FI system clean, clean enough to pass rigorous smog tests in all 50 states. The days of needing cleaners like I needed to add in the 70's when FI started becoming common are long over. We all had to add FI cleaners several times a year before the EPA required the cleaners be added by the gasoline manufacturers. I haven't needed to since that. It's a waste of $$$ unless the buyer is easily affected by the Placebo Effect.

I used to have 20+ new car/Jeep/truck dealerships as clients and I would BS with the mechanics every chance I got. When asked how often they saw genuinely dirty injectors with deposits in them, the newer mechanics would say 'never' and the old seasoned mechanics would say it had been many years since they had seen a dirty FI system. Dealerships only push their FI system cleaning services because they're about 90% profit. Really.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,387 Posts
You sell the jeep and buy a Prius ...lol ….It shocked me too ,,,I had read about the terrible fuel mileage but didn't think it would be as bad as it is...
Anyone worried about the mpg should be automatically disqualified from Jeep ownership, that's not what they're about.

·
Premium Member
8,337 Posts
But a Prius is so booorrrringgg.

·
Registered
16,932 Posts
buy a honda fit! jeeps are not made to get good gas mileage. The windshields are flat!

Reactions: Blondie70
1 - 20 of 61 Posts