Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

I'm going to buy 2014 Wrangler. Is there any way to find out the main characteristics of a certain vehicle?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, thanks! I'll take a look.

Do you know any aspects of this car that I need to pay attention to most of all?

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
I have a YJ as my daily driver so I'm not exactly up to speed on the JK, but it seems that the early JKs had a somewhat problematic engine that was cured in the later JKs.
Other posters should be able to tell you what years to look out for and where the break occurred.
I think the 2014 is after the break.

Is this the type of information you are looking for or are you asking about a specific vehicle? If you are asking about a specific vehicle, take the VIN to a Jeep dealer and ask for a build sheet. There are also online services that provide the same info.

A physical inspection may reveal prior owner modifications. If you are unsure about prior mods, take the Jeep to a local 4X4 shop and pay them for an inspection, just like you would do when buying a house.
Our vehicles are usually our second largest expenses and spending a hundred bucks or so on a professional inspection can save untold headaches.

Good Luck, L.M.

BTW, a Carfax is another good thing to have done.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,469 Posts
The 3.6 pentistar is crap too, if you like the body/looks of the JK i would do a drivetrain swap and put a V8 and decent transmission in it
The Pentastar engine is light years ahead of its predecessors. The 285 hp powerplant will run circles around the 3.8 or 4.0 dinosaurs it replaced. The 2012 initial year had a head problem but that has been fixed and has been generally trouble-free.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts