Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to no what type of trans I have just so I know. Its an 87 yj with the 4.2 5 speed. Anyone know?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Unless someone changed it, it came stock with a Peugeot BA10/5.

Very weak, and expensive to repair... I know first hand, and should have followed advice of others and NOT PUT ANY MONEY INTO IT. :)

But the AX15 is nearly a direct replacement, depending on year and a few details.

I have an 87 that I bought a AX15 with NP231 from a 92 or 93 Cherokee. I had to buy a new clutch disc, make a new trans mount, reman the TC linkage, transfer the speedo housing (from electronic to the mechanical, direct swap from the BA), and re-clock the transfer case. Also some minor body massage for the shifter, but its also got a 4" lift which amplified that problem.

If you do a search, you can easily find out what years, and what to expect in the swap. Of course that is assuming it isnt already an AX15. If you go here The AX15 Transmission - Novak Conversions they give you a good idea of what to look for if its already been swapped. Do a search on the Peugeot BA10 to get an idea of what it looks like, but basically the BA10 does not have that cast aluminum mid plate that the AX15 has making it easy to determine.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
camarozz said:
Unless someone changed it, it came stock with a Peugeot BA10/5.

Very weak, and expensive to repair... I know first hand, and should have followed advice of others and NOT PUT ANY MONEY INTO IT. :)

But the AX15 is nearly a direct replacement, depending on year and a few details.

I have an 87 that I bought a AX15 with NP231 from a 92 or 93 Cherokee. I had to buy a new clutch disc, make a new trans mount, reman the TC linkage, transfer the speedo housing (from electronic to the mechanical, direct swap from the BA), and re-clock the transfer case. Also some minor body massage for the shifter, but its also got a 4" lift which amplified that problem.

If you do a search, you can easily find out what years, and what to expect in the swap. Of course that is assuming it isnt already an AX15. If you go here The AX15 Transmission - Novak Conversions they give you a good idea of what to look for if its already been swapped. Do a search on the Peugeot BA10 to get an idea of what it looks like, but basically the BA10 does not have that cast aluminum mid plate that the AX15 has making it easy to determine.
Thanks for the info! I figured I had that trans. I also heard that its junk to! Its a little screwy. Its only got 120000 miles on it and the thing grinds and stuff im gonna run it till it locks up and quits lol then ill upgrade to the ax15. Is that an auto? Or is it a 5 speed manual?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Thanks for the info! I figured I had that trans. I also heard that its junk to! Its a little screwy. Its only got 120000 miles on it and the thing grinds and stuff im gonna run it till it locks up and quits lol then ill upgrade to the ax15. Is that an auto? Or is it a 5 speed manual?
It is a 5speed, and I think that is a good idea; but while you're waiting for that fateful day keep your eyes open for a set up.

If you do a little search, you can find the differences between systems and what it would take to do the swap. But basically, if you can get the matched set, it will make it an easy swap. Otherwise you could be changing input shafts on the TC, or some such. But the AX15 bellhousing is a direct fit, internal or external slave, and the driveline I believe is typically a direct fit.

If at all possible I would try and find a system with an external slave, and try to get the entire system from master to the slave. Its a little bit of an issue to try and adapt that external slave to the existing internal slave system.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Can I ask what the benefit of doing a ax-15 is ? I have a 94 4.0 and I'm doing a ford 8.8 swap . Do I already have one ? Looking for food for thought

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
amerdt4 said:
Can I ask what the benefit of doing a ax-15 is ? I have a 94 4.0 and I'm doing a ford 8.8 swap . Do I already have one ? Looking for food for thought
You already have an AX15 in your 94 YJ if it is not an automatic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts