Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 tj which I bought with a lift done by past owners. How do I go about figuring out what size shocks I’m going to need? Shocks now are awful and I need all four changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
786 Posts
Assuming that the shocks that are in there now are the correct size for your lift, take out one rear and one front shock and measure their collapsed length and their fully extended lengths, all shock manufacturers list these lengths on their shocks and you can match something up to what you have now.

·
Super Moderator
6,633 Posts
the optimal way to order the correct sized shocks is to remove coils and shocks and cycle the suspension to see your collapsed length between shock mount points when the axle is stuffed. when reinstalling the springs, check extended length between shock points when the springs are installed and just about to unseat. that will give you maximum collapsed and extended lengths before your springs unseat. i doubt you'd have coil bind on collapsed length unless your shock mounts are not in the OEM locations, so that shouldnt be an issue.

hard rocker gave a reasonable method as well, but thats assuming the lift manufacturer used the correct sized shock for your jeep and lift.

the quick and easy way is to measure your coils with the tires on the ground. OEM was 12" front and 8" rear. anything over that is the lift height. you can purchase shocks based on lift height but you will generally give up a bit of travel as not every jeep is the same.

highly recommend the Rancho 5000X shocks unless funds are unlimited

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the optimal way to order the correct sized shocks is to remove coils and shocks and cycle the suspension to see your collapsed length between shock mount points when the axle is stuffed. when reinstalling the springs, check extended length between shock points when the springs are installed and just about to unseat. that will give you maximum collapsed and extended lengths before your springs unseat. i doubt you'd have coil bind on collapsed length unless your shock mounts are not in the OEM locations, so that shouldnt be an issue.

hard rocker gave a reasonable method as well, but thats assuming the lift manufacturer used the correct sized shock for your jeep and lift.

the quick and easy way is to measure your coils with the tires on the ground. OEM was 12" front and 8" rear. anything over that is the lift height. you can purchase shocks based on lift height but you will generally give up a bit of travel as not every jeep is the same.

highly recommend the Rancho 5000X shocks unless funds are unlimited

Are the RS5000x the same thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts