Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, about 5 years ago I purchased a 1998 wrangler that was previously lifted with BF 35's. Based on the shocks that are currently on it, I believe that I have a Rough Country Lift Kit. I'm thinking it's the original shocks that came with the lift kit.

Within the past 200 miles, I began developing my first death wobble since I've had the Jeep. The DW is getting progressively worse so I'm either driving my Jeep very slow or not at all.

No doubt the current shocks are slam worn out. My front steering stabilizer is also leaking; so its toast. I'm fully aware that these are just a few of the things that can be the culprit of my death wobble. BTW, I replaced a left hub assembly and the track bar bushing about 4,000 miles ago.

I'm thinking that I have about 4 to 6 inch suspension lift but I really don't know.

How do I measure the lift kit so I know what length shock I need. I guess I can pull a shock off but...

Also seeking recommendations for a half decent shock and steering stabilizer.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
350 Posts
So, about 5 years ago I purchased a 1998 wrangler that was previously lifted with BF 35's. Based on the shocks that are currently on it, I believe that I have a Rough Country Lift Kit. I'm thinking it's the original shocks that came with the lift kit.

Within the past 200 miles, I began developing my first death wobble since I've had the Jeep. The DW is getting progressively worse so I'm either driving my Jeep very slow or not at all.

No doubt the current shocks are slam worn out. My front steering stabilizer is also leaking; so its toast. I'm fully aware that these are just a few of the things that can be the culprit of my death wobble. BTW, I replaced a left hub assembly and the track bar bushing about 4,000 miles ago.

I'm thinking that I have about 4 to 6 inch suspension lift but I really don't know.

How do I measure the lift kit so I know what length shock I need. I guess I can pull a shock off but...

Also seeking recommendations for a half decent shock and steering stabilizer.

Thanks everyone!
The standard way is to measure your spring heighths at the front and at the rear. Stock is 12" and 8" respectively. So, if your measurements come in at 16" and 12", then you have a 4" lift on it.

Now your DW isn't caused by the steering stabilizer being shot. It probably just masked your problem up front. It's from worn out steering components - track bar movement in the mount hole, tie rod bushings, axle u joints, wheel bearing etc...
Get rid of that stabilizer in my opinion and get the steering components fresh and snug and you'll be good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.