Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pick up my Wrangler Unlimited Tuesday. Is there anything I can put on the fenders and other plastic parts to minimize oxidation ? (Like to get it before it starts).

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I use armourall. There are all kinds of products, I'm sure others will chime in. Congratulations on your new Jeep!

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
303. I've been using different types of products since the late 90's when cleaning vehicles. I was recommended 303 by forum members. They never steered me wrong.

I apply it on a microfiber towel and go to work on the plastic/rubber trims inside/outside of the jeep. It does leave a white mark if you overspray, hence I use a towel.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
303. I've been using different types of products since the late 90's when cleaning vehicles. I was recommended 303 by forum members. They never steered me wrong.

I apply it on a microfiber towel and go to work on the plastic/rubber trims inside/outside of the jeep. It does leave a white mark if you overspray, hence I use a towel.

Huge +1 to this suggestion. I've been using 303 protectant for a very long time. Very good product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
I pick up my Wrangler Unlimited Tuesday. Is there anything I can put on the fenders and other plastic parts to minimize oxidation ? (Like to get it before it starts).
I've owned Wrangler for years and have never found the perfect solution to stop oxidation on black plastic parts. I've tried 303 and even though many people recommend it, I found that it doesn't last very long.
I've tried Adams VRT as well as several others. Again, highly rated, but again it just doesn't seem to last long at all.
When I got my new Recon I decided that I've got to find something that is better and longer lasting. While I haven't been using it long enough for the final judgement to come in, so far I'm liking CarProDLux Plastic and Wheel Coating.
https://www.amazon.com/CarPro-DLux-...qid=1497187896&sr=8-6&keywords=carpro+cquartz
I did a lot of research and almost all of the reviews were very positive on this. Although I can't verify it yet, it is reported to last up to six months. It leaves a nice shine and beads water like crazy.
When you first look at the fact that it only is a 30ml bottle and it costs almost $40, if you're like me, I thought that's crazy, but so far I've done all my wheel flares twice, all five wheels, front and rear bumper, all black trim such as door handles, mirrors, etc. and still have almost half a bottle left over, it's not as expensive as you would think. Like I said, I can't vouch for it's lasting power, but so far it looks more promising than anything I've tried so far.
I wanted to get something on the black plastic parts BEFORE any damage was done by the sun, and I did.
Application is pretty easy. Clean the surface with either their recommended cleaner or Isopropyl alcohol, dry and apply with the included applicator. It's very thin and goes on easy and streakfree. A little goes a long way. Let it cure and wipe it off. Keep it dry 24 hours for best results and it's done.
Of all the products I've tried over a period of years on several Wranglers, this is the best I've seen so far. If it lasts anywhere as near as long as it advertised, it will be worth the money. Even if I reapply every 2 to 3 months, it still beats anything else I've used.
For the black painted top I've never found anything to protect it as much as I'd like. The problem with the top is that it's not a slick painted surface and if you try to use most waxes, it leaves a haze that it almost impossible to remove. For a while I tried Turtle was ICE spray. It works pretty good and beads water. When I saw how well the CarPro worked on the black plastic, I contacted the supplier to see if he thought it could be used on the black top. He recommended CarPro Reload Spray. It's a diluted, spray on product, similar to the CarPro Dlux. All you do is clean the top, spray the Reload on a cloth and wipe on, let it cure and wipe it off. It gives the top just a little bit of a shine, but for the most part it's invisible, but with the low gloss finish of the black top, I didn't expect too much shine. Beads water like crazy. It's so easy to apply that you can put it on as often as you like. It's supposed to be long lasting, but I can't comment on that yet, but if it's water beading is any indication, it definitely puts on a protective coating. Again, at first glance, it looks expensive, but a little bit goes a long way.
https://www.amazon.com/CarPro-Reloa...rd_wg=XJnTQ&psc=1&refRID=5QX3S6BD78VZJRQS0BMS

·
Registered
559 Posts
No offense, but I would NEVER allow armor all to touch anything on my Jeep. It acts more like a dryer (silicon is a drying agent, and unless they've changed the formula, that was a main ingredient in their product).

Aerospace 303. The secret is to prevent oxidizing BEFORE it starts. There are some other things you can get online (not available in stores -at least that I've been able to find), like DP (Detailers Pride, or something like that), Wolfgang and Chemical Guys lines are good. Those are used by the professional detailers.

Autogeek.net has a GREAT selection of good stuff.

Also look at https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/forum.php
Search for "trim restorer showdown."

·
Registered
660 Posts
I use grocery store peanut oil.. Last about a year. very good results and cheap!

Just make sure your not allegoric to the stuff :jawdrop:

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Direct link to the Trim Restorer Showdown

Truck.norris: Thanks for below post.

Preventing UV damage (e.g. 303 Protectorant-type products) is better than remeditating it, but if the damage's done - you can fix/mitigate it to a degree.

The JK's have a lot more OEM plastic trim exposure (unless you flat-fendered them) than the TJ's did. TJ's were infamous for their gray UV fade on non-painted fender well trim.

The direct link to the Trim Restorer Showdown is here: https://www.autogeekonline.net/foru...restorer-showdown-round-2-long-pic-heavy.html

No offense, but I would NEVER allow armor all to touch anything on my Jeep. It acts more like a dryer (silicon is a drying agent, and unless they've changed the formula, that was a main ingredient in their product).

Aerospace 303. The secret is to prevent oxidizing BEFORE it starts. There are some other things you can get online (not available in stores -at least that I've been able to find), like DP (Detailers Pride, or something like that), Wolfgang and Chemical Guys lines are good. Those are used by the professional detailers.

Autogeek.net has a GREAT selection of good stuff.

Also look at https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/forum.php
Search for "trim restorer showdown."

·
Registered
721 Posts
Another big +1 for 303; I just detailed my Jeep yesterday and applied it to all hard plastic surfaces. Works wonders!

Not to hijack the thread but has anyone used the 303 rubber seal conditioner! I was thinking of picking some up on Amazon but was wondering if anyone used it here to keep their rubber seals in good shape.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Another big +1 for 303; I just detailed my Jeep yesterday and applied it to all hard plastic surfaces. Works wonders!

Not to hijack the thread but has anyone used the 303 rubber seal conditioner! I was thinking of picking some up on Amazon but was wondering if anyone used it here to keep their rubber seals in good shape.
I haven't. I like the 303, and I wouldn't hesitate to try it. I have some "Meguiar's Mirror Glaze (number 40) Vinyl & Rubber cleaner/conditioner." It's from their professional line (got it at Pep Boys/O'Riley's/Advance. I fig'd I could return it if I didn't like it).
There's another line called McKee's, and they're supposed to be REALLY good!

Reactions: Minion Wrangler

·
Registered
559 Posts
@ourjeeps thanks for doing all that legwork!! It's been a LONG time since I looked at that particular page, but I remember there being some good stuff on it! That whole site is pretty good. You learn about stuff you can only get online, stuff the PROs use.

I'm OBSESSED with taking care of my Jeep (it's gotta look good for 30 years when I sell it!). I don't cheap out of cleaner/waxes/protectants/etc. twice a year I compound it with a pretty good "cut", polish it, synthetic wax followed by a carnauba wax. (Even the SUN squints when it looks at my Jeep! :D). I use a buffer, so it only takes about a day. All the plastic/vinyl gets taped off. I even take the taillights off.

Reactions: ourjeeps

·
Registered
559 Posts
Reactions: kalsplice

·
Premium Member
10,149 Posts

Use Shin-Etsu for rubber seals and the o-ring on your gas cap.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I seem to recall a paint product available at HD being recommended that you just brush/wipe on and it was dirt cheap.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
I usually use 303, but I wanted to try TopCoat F11 on my Jeep. So far it looks really good, but had a few streaks that I had to wipe off again. I mainly bought it to see if it will help on the hardtop and plastics. The fenders look great with the F11 and less shine than the 303. Its expensive and only time will tell if its worth the expense.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Detailing obsession...

Truck.norris: In my younger days there seemed to be more time for wrenching on and detailing vehicles. You have a black Jeep, black anything needs a lot of care and looks incredible when clean/polished. Not sure how you deal with "trail pin striping" though...

Hopefully retiring soon after a lifetime of relentless careers, a couple of times even two-fulltimes at once. So will have more wrenching time (again) and also maybe some time to seriously detail some vehicles. Now, they rarely get vacuumed, and a soft-touch car wash is about all they get these days. Since they are nearly all white, the micro scratches that show so easily on black or dark colors are not an issue.

Thanks again for the detailing tips and the link to the detailing site.

I'm OBSESSED with taking care of my Jeep (it's gotta look good for 30 years when I sell it!). I don't cheap out of cleaner/waxes/protectants/etc. twice a year I compound it with a pretty good "cut", polish it, synthetic wax followed by a carnauba wax. (Even the SUN squints when it looks at my Jeep! :D). I use a buffer, so it only takes about a day. All the plastic/vinyl gets taped off. I even take the taillights off.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts