Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my wrangler the spare tire is held on with 2 lug nuts and 1 weird looking lock.

I dont know how it works and I dont know if I have the key if thats what is uses...

if I lost what i need to get the tire off where can I go to get a new one?

Im guessing its for theft protection but I dont even want to deal with it. my part of town people dont steal tires.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,374 Posts
Yep you have some sort of locking lug nut on your spare tire. Nearly any tire shop can remove it. But I would simply use a big set of vise grips to unscrew it, or a big set of waterpump pliers. Deflate the spare tire first to loosen the nut's grip on the stud.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It screws right off with force? When doing this will it break the lock?

If its that easy then why bother? If im going to steal a spare tire I wouldn't let something that easy stop me...lol

I can get pics if that helps...

·
Knows a couple things...
49,374 Posts
It's just a fancy lug nut that unscrews like any other lug nut. It just doesn't accept a normal socket. :)

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh, i see. Ill try to mess with it

thanks!

·
Wheelin' and Dealin'
1,521 Posts
the security nuts on my have begun to rust..I am gonna replace mine ASAP (with non-locking). I would just do without them..

·
Registered
517 Posts
use a socket that is just slightly smaller than the locking lug, i had the same problem, put the slightly smaller socket on the nut and beat it on with a mallet, then easily removed it with my impact

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
I've torched 'em but thats a last resort. Tire shops can put an extracting socket on it... How long have you had the jeep??? Did you search EVERYWHERE inside to try and find the key? It would be a socket with a weird looking inside.

·
Premium Member
3,221 Posts
I've torched 'em but thats a last resort. Tire shops can put an extracting socket on it... How long have you had the jeep??? Did you search EVERYWHERE inside to try and find the key? It would be a socket with a weird looking inside.
Torching it off is a very bad idea! I dont know where the video is but when you heat up a lug nut the heat transfers to the rim. This causes the air in the tire to expand and I can blow the tire. There have been many documented cases of severe injury or death due to this. And it does not take much time to happen either.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haven't had the jeep long. Ill have to search around before I start breaking stuff. haha

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I'm tellin' ya, if you have an angle grinder...just grind the thing off. You won't break anything.

If you don't have one, it's the best $50-100 investment you'll make for your jeep.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Try using a big hammer and hitting sideways if other methods don't work. Then you still have other stud to put on a "locking" nut if you so choose to. Just my $.02

·
Registered
172 Posts
Depending in what kind of locking nut you have you can hammer an old socket over it and the take it out. Obviously you ruin the socket... But on the other hand pawn shops sell sockets for 50 cents

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In have plenty of cheap walmart sockets i grew out of from when I was young. Ill gladly use those.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Mr_RPM said:
In have plenty of cheap walmart sockets i grew out of from when I was young. Ill gladly use those.
Just use a socket that is one size smaller than what fits over it. Then line it up and smash it on. After the first or second hit and you think it's good and tight just connect the ratchet and take it off. Just try not to split the socket by hitting it over and over and over again

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I used the socket trick. It worked so well that im still using it as a nut to hold the tire on, just need a socket wrench to take it off (or even a super tight grip, i left it moderately loose)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Mr_RPM said:
I used the socket trick. It worked so well that im still using it as a nut to hold the tire on, just need a socket wrench to take it off (or even a super tight grip, i left it moderately loose)
Hahaha awesome, glad it worked!

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did a search threw the jeep looking for the tool, i even found a little plastic pouch that was Labeled spare tire hardware (or something like that, it look OE) and it had a bunch of stuff except the damn tool lol.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Mr_RPM said:
I did a search threw the jeep looking for the tool, i even found a little plastic pouch that was Labeled spare tire hardware (or something like that, it look OE) and it had a bunch of stuff except the damn tool lol.
Yea that's really annoying, same with me... Bought the jeep went to take the spare off and realized it had a lug nut lock. Of course it was nowhere to be found

1 - 20 of 27 Posts