Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I'm new to the forum, just bought a 2012 manual JKR with 8k miles! I had a TJ before, thing was built like a tank, I never really had to do much to it in terms of maintenance, change some fluids, that's about it lol.

Anywho, I noticed that even on small inclines my parking break is very weak and I was wondering how to go about correcting this.

image-2515364543.jpg

image-772535056.jpg

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Nice rig! 8k miles? 2012? what a find! Im actually having the same issue I haven't looked at it yet but im hoping its like most vehicles and has a cable with an adjuster somewhere on the back of the line. Typically the cable stretches which means youd have to pull more of the lever before the rear brake touches or grabs the rotor. But it grabs inside the center circle of the rotor not the disc side with the pads. I'm going to check mine tonight and if nobody replies I will. If your inspection is up usually if it fails because of the emergency brake they'll cinch it up for you. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice rig! 8k miles? 2012? what a find! Im actually having the same issue I haven't looked at it yet but im hoping its like most vehicles and has a cable with an adjuster somewhere on the back of the line. Typically the cable stretches which means youd have to pull more of the lever before the rear brake touches or grabs the rotor. But it grabs inside the center circle of the rotor not the disc side with the pads. I'm going to check mine tonight and if nobody replies I will. If your inspection is up usually if it fails because of the emergency brake they'll cinch it up for you. Welcome to the forum!
Haha! You have no idea! I almost turned my pants brown with excitement when I pretty much discovered this *new* Rubicon going for less than a new sport! I had spent almost a year saving up for a new ride, and wasn't quite where I wanted to be when buying it, but that kind of deal was just too hard to pass up! And I wasn't gonna let me having no experience with a manual turn me away from this baby!

Anyway, I have little to no mechanical experience, and I figured re-adjusting the handbrake would be a good way to start off on the right foot hah!

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
get the rear end in the air.

take off both wheels
take off both calipers
take off little plug that is under caliper.
use a brake spoon to adjust until caliper wont rotate freely.
back off 2 clicks till it barely scuffs while turning.
repeat on other side and test.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
get the rear end in the air. take off both wheels take off both calipers take off little plug that is under caliper. use a brake spoon to adjust until caliper wont rotate freely. back off 2 clicks till it barely scuffs while turning. repeat on other side and test.
Nice thank you! Only took me about 30 minutes to do so, about 10 of which were spent figuring out I have to loosen my jack before taking it out hahaha!

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Yes it is a PIA for such a basic necessity.

Hopefully the boys in Engineering do a better on the JL. The JK is one of the worst e-brakes I have ever owned.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
I really had high hopes this was going to be simple.....

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I did the adjustment. It only lasted a week before it started rolling down hills with the hand brake in.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Im due for oil change soon. Would this be done under Warranty on my 2014? I have the upgraded warranty as well purchased from dealer.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Im due for oil change soon. Would this be done under Warranty on my 2014? I have the upgraded warranty as well purchased from dealer.
Never hurts to ask, sounds like a safety problem to me.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
It's "easy" but time consuming. I did my rear brakes and had to back off the e-brake to get the rotor off and never adjusted it back, simply forgot. I have zero functioning e-brake and it's staying like that until I HAVE to take off the rear caliper again. Just not worth the hassle. No reason they had to hide the little opening behind the caliper. Plenty of room to have flipped it 180 degrees and have it out in the open. Like above I bet it was done to make people take it back to the dealer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts