Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I've owned my JKU for almost 2 months now. It is still stock, as I'm saving up for mods with include a lift and new tires/wheels. While I love my Jeep, every now and again I find it annoying getting in. I have ripped two pants in the crotch/gooch area (where all the seams meet down there) by trying to step up into it, and I've adopted a new way where I place my right foot on the step panel and push myself up onto the seat. Now this is awkward from time to time as my knee turns awkwardly but it is the only way I can do it without tearing my pants. I am 6'0" and weigh a little over 200lbs so I'm not that big, but I can only imagine it will get more difficult when I lift it (or maybe not? I don't know, the height difference could be ideal when it's a little higher). I know this is pretty silly but how do you guys do it? Is there an ideal way to get in? I currently work on construction sites so it's not a big deal when I rip some work pants or jeans, but in a few months I will be going into the office and would hate it if I started ripping dress pants lol

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,109 Posts
I have them Sahara side steps and Wild Boar grab bars: simply hold onto the handle with your tight hand, step onto the running board with your left foot, lift yourself up and slide right in.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Right foot on the running board, right hand on the steering wheel; Step, pull, enter butt first, then swing both feet in.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
With help from a set of Grabars and TNT sliders/steps. My wife is 5'2" and they make life easier with my 3.5" lift and 35" tires.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Right foot on the running board, right hand on the steering wheel; Step, pull, enter butt first, then swing both feet in.
I heard pulling on a locked steering wheel can cause problems.

·
Banned
729 Posts
I approach the entry point of my drivers side door at a 29.750" degree angle to the step. Depending on whether the doors are on or off....(usually OFF)....I raise my left hand in a trajectory that will enable it to reach the steering wheel. With a perfectly timed calculation, I grasp the wheel at the 10:00 position and simultaneously pull myself toward the seat as I step on the "step". As momentum carries me toward the seat, I make a slight dip under the roll bar to ensure that my head doesn't contact it in a negative or injurious fashion. Once my head clears the roll bar, I employ a slight bend at the knees that changes my momentum to a downward (gravitational) slump. If all my calculations are correct, this results in my ASS hitting the seat. Once my ASS is in the seat...I know my entry was successful. To get out of the Jeep, I repead the process in a reverse order. I hope this answers your question.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
right foot in Jeep - left hand on GraBar - pull my butt in to the seat

never tore a single pair of pants

I'm 6' 225# with a 2.5" lift
AZrat - Lmao this is what I'm doing now to not tear my pants, except sometimes I alternate from the steering wheel to the grab handle (I don't like pulling on the steering wheel). I guess there's no escaping it.

Argent - This is what I used to do and my pants tore. Maybe it's different for each person! And maybe I just have weak pants lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
I heard pulling on a locked steering wheel can cause problems.
I have heard this too but can't remember where and don't know the basis for it.

To be safe I use a grab bar and asked my wife to do the same instead of the wheel when getting in.

My process is to grab the bar with my left hand. Step up with my right foot into the floor board and slide in. We have a step bar but neither my wife (5'4" and slender) nor I (6' 180#) use it to step in.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Uhhh, can I film it? Never really paid attention to how I do it. But I do know the damn belt loop on the door catch pain.
I normally keep my tape measure on the left rear side - right next to the door catch. I can't tell you how many times I have forgotten to take it off before getting in and had my tape bounce into the street in the middle of DC. Also, the building where I'm expanding an office suite uses card keys to get in and around. I also keep them on my left side. They're on one of those retractable lanyards so I can keep them dangling on my belt and just extend it to open doors. The cards got caught on the catch and as I walked out of my Jeep I heard and felt the line snap. I was pissed until I got a new lanyard a few days later. Now I know to take both off before getting in haha

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I approach the entry point of my drivers side door at a 29.750" degree angle to the step. Depending on whether the doors are on or off....(usually OFF)....I raise my left hand in a trajectory that will enable it to reach the steering wheel. With a perfectly timed calculation, I grasp the wheel at the 10:00 position and simultaneously pull myself toward the seat as I step on the "step". As momentum carries me toward the seat, I make a slight dip under the roll bar to ensure that my head doesn't contact it in a negative or injurious fashion. Once my head clears the roll bar, I employ a slight bend at the knees that changes my momentum to a downward (gravitational) slump. If all my calculations are correct, this results in my ASS hitting the seat. Once my ASS is in the seat...I know my entry was successful. To get out of the Jeep, I repead the process in a reverse order. I hope this answers your question.
I have harmed no clothing in this process.
Thanks for giving me a good laugh this morning haha

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
Hi guys, I've owned my JKU for almost 2 months now. It is still stock, as I'm saving up for mods with include a lift and new tires/wheels. While I love my Jeep, every now and again I find it annoying getting in. I have ripped two pants in the crotch/gooch area (where all the seams meet down there) by trying to step up into it, and I've adopted a new way where I place my right foot on the step panel and push myself up onto the seat. Now this is awkward from time to time as my knee turns awkwardly but it is the only way I can do it without tearing my pants. I am 6'0" and weigh a little over 200lbs so I'm not that big, but I can only imagine it will get more difficult when I lift it (or maybe not? I don't know, the height difference could be ideal when it's a little higher). I know this is pretty silly but how do you guys do it? Is there an ideal way to get in? I currently work on construction sites so it's not a big deal when I rip some work pants or jeans, but in a few months I will be going into the office and would hate it if I started ripping dress pants lol

Thanks!
Not trying to be weird but..... are you pulling your pants up? IF they are too low I could see how a leg spread could rip the crotch but if they are up there shouldn't be a ripping issue.

This may be the weirdest post I ever made......:mooning:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not trying to be weird but..... are you pulling your pants up? IF they are too low I could see how a leg spread could rip the crotch but if they are up there shouldn't be a ripping issue.

This may be the weirdest post I ever made......:mooning:
Lol it's okay I initially didn't want to post this because I thought it was weird but I did it anyways. And yes, my work pants were up, as my work polo was tucked in. The polos are a little short so to keep them tucked you have to have your belt around your waste. The other pants I can't say, they were regular black pants (kinda denim but not really) and while I don't sag my pants they do fall from time to time, even while wearing a belt. Who knows, I could just have a larger lower body than I should and it could be root of all of this. But no pants should have to suffer!

·
Official WF thread de-railer
3,952 Posts
I normally keep my tape measure on the left rear side - right next to the door catch. I can't tell you how many times I have forgotten to take it off before getting in and had my tape bounce into the street in the middle of DC. Also, the building where I'm expanding an office suite uses card keys to get in and around. I also keep them on my left side. They're on one of those retractable lanyards so I can keep them dangling on my belt and just extend it to open doors. The cards got caught on the catch and as I walked out of my Jeep I heard and felt the line snap. I was pissed until I got a new lanyard a few days later. Now I know to take both off before getting in haha
The struggle is real!! :D

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
Lol it's okay I initially didn't want to post this because I thought it was weird but I did it anyways. And yes, my work pants were up, as my work polo was tucked in. The polos are a little short so to keep them tucked you have to have your belt around your waste. The other pants I can't say, they were regular black pants (kinda denim but not really) and while I don't sag my pants they do fall from time to time, even while wearing a belt. Who knows, I could just have a larger lower body than I should and it could be root of all of this. But no pants should have to suffer!
It's True! Women don't know how we suffer! ALL that "junk" down there, repositioning, being careful not to sit on "it".... ALL just so we can maintain our equipment to satisfy "their urges" at a moments notice. I digress.

Set of side steps and some GraBars is my prescription for "crotch happiness" especially when/if you lift.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts