Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot get rid of that oily ring around the fill plug on my diff cover. Is there anything you use to keep the oil from seeping around the treads? Teflon tape isnt doing it

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
How much do you tighten it?

If should not leak even without teflon tape. There might be some dirt in the grooves.

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
Maybe a bead of blue loctite?

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
Use a Teflon thread sealant instead of Teflon tape and make sure the threads and the plug are oil free when you install it. Should take care of your issue. That doesn’t do it.... just weld it! Haha...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I clean my plugs with a wire wheel while in a vice. I then put a bead of RTV around the middle and install it. No leaks for me.
I hope that is a very little bit of RTV, I would hate to get some of that in the diff itself. I thoroughly clean my plug and the hole to insure there is no dirt or debris, I never had a leaky plug with my ARB covers on my 2007 nor my Dynatrac covers on my 2017.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I use this, but like mentioned above you should be able to thread it on bare and it’ll stop the oil. I can typically get a couple of turns using just my fingers and it cuts the oil off, then it take another couple more to torque down.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
I hope that is a very little bit of RTV, I would hate to get some of that in the diff itself. I thoroughly clean my plug and the hole to insure there is no dirt or debris, I never had a leaky plug with my ARB covers on my 2007 nor my Dynatrac covers on my 2017.

There is already rtv floating around in most axles. Just had mine open to install rcv axle shafts and new seals and I was surprised to see how much rtv the factory uses just to seal up the diff cover.... a little more isn't going to hurt any.

·
Registered
970 Posts
When mine was leaking I just needed to clean the plug a little

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
799 Posts
I use the Permatex right stuff when I remove the diff covers. That works well for the plugs too. If I'm just changing the gear oil, I use RTV. If you apply it to the middle threads, none of it will get inside the diff.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Teflon tape is a thread lubricant, not a thread sealant. Clean the threads, both inside and out. Make sure the threads are not worn out. You shouldn't need it, but use a thread sealant if you need to.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Your exactly right about Teflon tape. Most people get the wrong info about that. Tapered threads will seal them selves but you either need oil or a lubricant to get it tight enough to seal without overtightning.
I'm glad you got it to stop leaking but I would guess you had a issue with the threads. Either on the plug or in the cover.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Teflon tape is a thread lubricant, not a thread sealant. Clean the threads, both inside and out. Make sure the threads are not worn out. You shouldn't need it, but use a thread sealant if you need to.

It's BOTH a lubricant and a sealant. Most people use either tef tape or pipe dope, but rarely ever both

The tape also works as a deformable filler and thread lubricant, helping to seal the joint without hardening or making it more difficult to tighten,[2] and instead making it easier to tighten
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_seal_tape

1 - 20 of 20 Posts