Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a 2001 Jeep Wrangler with half doors and I've been trying to figure out how to take the entire door off. I've already checked the owners manual but that didn't help. Any ideas?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Make sure that the bolts are off off the bottom of the two hinges and then you just lift. Since its yout first time they may need to be sprayed

·
Registered
299 Posts
My ex wife used to love to take the doors off on her car, she would just open the door a bit so she could see while backing up, catch a pole and take the door right off! Worked every time and was quick too!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright what should I spray them with? By the way I already tried unscrewing them with a socket wrench and a few other wrenches and the bolt wasn't sticking down far enough to hold on to.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Try some PB Blaster, might need to soak them a couple of times over a day or two to get them to loosen up good.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yeah just repeatily for a few days spray it multiple times a day. Once you get the bolts off, if the doors wont budge them try using a jack.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
  1. Remove bolts on bottom of hinges.
  2. Open door.
  3. Detach door limiting straps.
  4. Stand between Jeep and door.
  5. Reach down with one hand grab the bottom of the door.
  6. Use your other hand to slowly open and close the door while lifting up (using your legs, not your back).
  7. Be careful. Once it comes free, the door can and most like hurt a bit when it hits you in the cheek.
  8. Spray exposed hinges with WD 40 so it'll be easier the next time.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
  1. Use your other hand to slowly open and close the door while lifting up (using your legs, not your back).
#1 thing there, you can lift and lift, as soon as you rock the door open and shut while lifting you'll see the hinges start to separate .

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Make sure that the bolts are off off the bottom of the two hinges and then you just lift.
He'll do a lot better taking the nuts off. :)

To get the doors off, remove the nut at the bottom of each hinge pin using a 13mm wrench then simply lift up on the door. If it's a bit stiff, swing the door back & forth a little as you life up on it with your arm over the top of the door and holding onto the bottom.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Alright what should I spray them with? By the way I already tried unscrewing them with a socket wrench and a few other wrenches and the bolt wasn't sticking down far enough to hold on to.
That bolt end you see actually stays on the door side,it's just a post that slides into the hinge on the jeep side.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Jerry Bransford said:
He'll do a lot better taking the nuts off. :)

To get the doors off, remove the nut at the bottom of each hinge pin using a 13mm wrench then simply lift up on the door. If it's a bit stiff, swing the door back & forth a little as you life up on it with your arm over the top of the door and holding onto the bottom.
Mopar actually sells a socket that is rounded and oversized to help protect the painted nut. Lol

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
thats bull....its heater on high up here in MO. well, not completely, it hit a crazy for this time of year 64 today, I almost took the upper doors of, then realized I'd have a wind chill on the highway.

Good job n the doors and welcome to the forum

1 - 13 of 13 Posts