Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to properly do the interior, axles, auto tranny, engine, electrical,etcetera? Should most 4x4 shops know how to do this?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Where do u plan on taking ur jeep that u need to do extreme water proofing? Unless you are going to leave it under a lake for a couple days, driving threw a stream or something like that is fine. Maybe a snorkel will help to keep the air intake dry. Waterproof a little over kill in my opinion and a lot more money than its worth

·
Registered
120 Posts
What trans do you have...?
3 stage auto...?
I killed my auto on 1.5 feet of water...
The 3 stages have low breathers...

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
snorkel for the engine intake (sealed rather well, I watched a rubicon die in 3' of water because the snorkel tube wasn't sealed at the elbow :facepalm:
extend trans breather
extend both axle breathers (this is often overlooked and axles fill w/water)
do'nt get your firewall or dashboard submerged... I don't know how to proof it unless you pull apart and splice/seal every connection.

Also, an ol' mudder trick is to put baby oil into a spray bottle. Before runs, spray the underside of your jeep w/a thin coat of baby oil. Then the mud rinses right off easy...

But yeah, how deep you going? Whats your plan?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I'll just do the axles and tranny and only about 3' of water and I ask because I've already mess my tranny up once which cost me 2k because I got stuck in water due to the mud for about an hour and a few weeks later my tranny started sticking then died.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
05silver_sport said:
I guess I'll just do the axles and tranny and only about 3' of water and I ask because I've already mess my tranny up once which cost me 2k because I got stuck in water due to the mud for about an hour and a few weeks later my tranny started sticking then died.
Some times it's not the height of the breather but the resistance of air flow in the breather. When everything is nice and hot then you jump in a nice cool pond that cooling action dramatically causes the fluids to lose volume. If the vents are clogged or restricted the vacuum in the will pull in material from the weakest point. So make sure the vents are clean and high with a filter.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Build a good garage

1 - 10 of 10 Posts