Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am a new WF member and new owner of '11 Rubicon, which I love so far. However, I am at a loss to understand how the electronic sway bar disconnect works from a technical perspective. In my casual observation of the front suspension, I could not see anything that appears different from normal. What should I see and how does it work? Please don't restate the obivious... Thanks LW

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D The swaybar is electrically COUPLED --it's a two piece bar/w an electric "COG" connection-must be in 4hi/4lo for disconnect and can't go over 18mph-

You hit the switch and it "UNCOGS"---get level, hit the switch and it "RECOGS"

simple-expensive !!

Don't play withit--use IF YOU NEED TO !

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Take a look at this picture.

The "Electric Sway Bar Disconnect" is in yellow, and the "Sway Bar" itself is orange. Note the way the orange sway bar begins on one side of the Jeep, passes through the yellow disconnect, and continues onto the other side of the Jeep.

My understanding--in line with what Jimbo said--is that when you push the button inside your cabin, the yellow disconnect actually severs the sway bar in half. This allows the driver's side of the orange sway bar to move independent of the passenger side, thereby allow for more articulation. However, you won't visibly see any difference from the outside.

If us non-Rubicon owners want a similar result, we need to manually disconnect the red "Sway Bar Links." This will disconnect the sway bar itself from the front axle, and, again, allow for more articulation.

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
:D The swaybar is electrically COUPLED --it's a two piece bar/w an electric "COG" connection-must be in 4hi/4lo for disconnect and can't go over 18mph-

You hit the switch and it "UNCOGS"---get level, hit the switch and it "RECOGS"

simple-expensive !!

Don't play withit--use IF YOU NEED TO !

Actually it has to be in 4L unless you monkey with a programmer.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Official "Daggo was WRONG" tally to date:

WRONG: 1 ( plus a couple mulligans):facepalm:
RIGHT: several zillion:eek:

Confidence level : remains nearly sterling:rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Super Moderator
7,626 Posts
Can someone help me understand this? In order to disconnect you must be in 4L and under 18 mph? OK so once its disconnected can you go faster or into 4H, or 2H for that matter? How would the system prevent this once its disconnected? I never owned anything with this system and would like to learn. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Had to google mulligan :redface:

:thumb:
I have to take too many of them not to know what they are. Love to play golf but wouldn't say I am good at it lol.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Take a look at this picture.

The "Electric Sway Bar Disconnect" is in yellow, and the "Sway Bar" itself is orange. Note the way the orange sway bar begins on one side of the Jeep, passes through the yellow disconnect, and continues onto the other side of the Jeep.

My understanding--in line with what Jimbo said--is that when you push the button inside your cabin, the yellow disconnect actually severs the sway bar in half. This allows the driver's side of the orange sway bar to move independent of the passenger side, thereby allow for more articulation. However, you won't visibly see any difference from the outside.

If us non-Rubicon owners want a similar result, we need to manually disconnect the red "Sway Bar Links." This will disconnect the sway bar itself from the front axle, and, again, allow for more articulation.
Great pic...

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: You should be below 18mph, in 4hi/4lo to activate e-disco--push button once, flashing icon when trying and solid when disconnected--

To reconnect you should be BELOW 18 mph-in 4hi/4lo and then push button, once more (one time)--

Can someone help me understand this? In order to disconnect you must be in 4L and under 18 mph? OK so once its disconnected can you go faster or into 4H, or 2H for that matter? How would the system prevent this once its disconnected? I never owned anything with this system and would like to learn. Thanks!
You have tobe on LEVEL ground and for safety--stay below 18mph and in 4hi/4/lo !light will flash while trying and then "go out" when connected !

·
Super Moderator
7,626 Posts
:whistling: You should be below 18mph, in 4hi/4lo to activate e-disco--push button once, flashing icon when trying and solid when disconnected--

To reconnect you should be BELOW 18 mph-in 4hi/4lo and then push button, once more (one time)--

You have tobe on LEVEL ground and for safety--stay below 18mph and in 4hi/4/lo !light will flash while trying and then "go out" when connected !

So basically once disconnected you're on your own! :dance:

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D Once disconnected, is like driving your jeep without a front sway bar--AT ALL-

So basically once disconnected you're on your own! :dance:
Thats for more extreme articulation and trying to get all 4 tires on the ground when on very uneven surface-ie: ruts/rocks/burms/volkswagons-etc-

If you drive over 18mph--the ECU trys to reconnect the e-disco system--not a good idea !!

18 mph is a magic No. with Chrysler there lockers are also governed to 18 mph !

For safety reasons, it's not a good idea to drive on hiwys with any swaybars disconnected !!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts