Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey WF!

A guy in my area is selling a JK 3.6 clutch & flywheel with 7,000km on it for $150 CAD. For some backstory, this came out of a written-off 13 JK with engine knock.

I can't seem to find a new flywheel (not with the clutch) for my model for less than $600 CAD. So this seems like a good buy and seems to be in decent shape but I'd be lying if I said I was a clutch master. I'd love to hear all of your thoughts, thanks in advance!

Auto part Clutch Machine Metal
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Rim Clutch
Auto part Clutch
Auto part Wheel Machine Clutch Metal
Auto part Rotor Machine
Water Rim Wheel Auto part Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
17,570 Posts
Given the effort or cost to remove a tranny I would not install a used clutch plate or pressure plate

Why does your flywheel need replaced

If you have a shop install a used part or a new part you bring them and there is a problem they will blame the parts and you are SOL
Since much if not most of clutch job is labor not worth using used wear parts like disc and pressure plate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A buddy is going to do the labour, so only effort.

I had it in at the dealer and they said my flywheel was badly marked up.

I am okay with getting a new clutch set. I can get a LUK kit for ~$350 CAD, but without the flywheel.

·
Super Moderator
8,084 Posts
A buddy is going to do the labour, so only effort.

I had it in at the dealer and they said my flywheel was badly marked up.

I am okay with getting a new clutch set. I can get a LUK kit for ~$350 CAD, but without the flywheel.
What were they doing that they could see your flywheel?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a rear main seal leak while it was under warranty. I was also having some clutch sounds so I asked them to investigate while they had the tranny dropped. They investigated and said I needed a new clutch assembly and flywheel.

·
Super Moderator
8,084 Posts
I had a rear main seal leak while it was under warranty. I was also having some clutch sounds so I asked them to investigate while they had the tranny dropped. They investigated and said I needed a new clutch assembly and flywheel.
Then I would buy an aftermarket clutch and throw out bearing and install that. I would not pay for a used (up) clutch and do all the work to install it. Clutches are fairly cheap, the work to replace one is where all the money is.
The stock throw out bearing is the most common failure I have heard of with these clutches. It is junk. I would go aftermarket on both the clutch and the throw out bearing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Then I would buy an aftermarket clutch and throw out bearing and install that. I would not pay for a used (up) clutch and do all the work to install it. Clutches are fairly cheap, the work to replace one is where all the money is.
The stock throw out bearing is the most common failure I have heard of with these clutches. It is junk. I would go aftermarket on both the clutch and the throw out bearing.
I appreciate the advice. I'm going to see if he will sell just the flywheel and then will go with a new clutch system. Cheers!

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I would not buy a used flywheel. The flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch disc all wear together and you cannot refinish a JK flywheel. You don't want to skimp, put it all back together, and then find out the clutch chatters.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Trying to save a couple dollars now may cost you more in the long run. I would replace with new.

Reactions: Blastek
1 - 9 of 9 Posts