Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2015 Rubicon. I know you can shift from 2WD into 4WD high up to 50mph but was wondering how fast you can drive while in 4WD. I can't seem to find any info on this.

Thanks,

Dennis

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

There is no technical upper limit. However, there is more of a common sense limit. If you need 4WD, you should no be going very fast. Remember, this a 4WD vehicle, not an AWD vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
If you can go 50mph, there should be no need for 4wd. Unless you are out at like King of Hammers desert speed racing maybe....

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
No faster than 99mph I believe that is all the electronic governor will allow for a top speed. No way in hell is try it in 4hi. I did it in 2wd cause I'm crazy like that.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
No faster than 99mph I believe that is all the electronic governor will allow for a top speed. No way in hell is try it in 4hi. I did it in 2wd cause I'm crazy like that.
I've gotten above 100...but yeah...only in 2WD....and just once.

Your speed limiter is set to 99 mph because that is the limit for Q rated tires.

My limiter should be set to 112 because the stock Bridgestone's are S rated.

Max speed for 4H is as fast as conditions safely allow, which should not be very fast if 4H is needed.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
My limiter is set at 105 but since I never recalibrated my speedo technically I could go 113. I've never been that high in any gear.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I recently bought a 2015 Rubicon. I know you can shift from 2WD into 4WD high up to 50mph but was wondering how fast you can drive while in 4WD. I can't seem to find any info on this.

Thanks,

Dennis
You will find out.............................immediately upon spinning out of control, and landing in the ditch.....the best place for dumbazzes!

·
Registered
1,808 Posts

Thanks,

Dennis
I wouldn't stress about it... we regularly drive at speeds up to around 70mph in 4wd on our 1 ton dodges. Realistically if you're going much faster you probably don't need 4wd

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
If you can go 50mph, there should be no need for 4wd. Unless you are out at like King of Hammers desert speed racing maybe....
I hear a guy was clocked at 137mph this year!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I wouldn't stress about it... we regularly drive at speeds up to around 70mph in 4wd on our 1 ton dodges. Realistically if you're going much faster you probably don't need 4wd
What he said ^. If you are in conditions which require 4WD, then you shouldn't be driving fast enough to find out in a standard vehicle.

·
Registered
71 Posts
#20 odamo
Jeeper

I don't think he's asking for all the varied opinions of how fast you think he should be going in 4 hi based on conditions or being told that if you can go faster than 55 you don't need to be in 4hi.
The only correct answer is: You can go as fast as your vehicle will go. period. :doh2:

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
#20 odamo
Jeeper

I don't think he's asking for all the varied opinions of how fast you think he should be going in 4 hi based on conditions or being told that if you can go faster than 55 you don't need to be in 4hi.
The only correct answer is: You can go as fast as your vehicle will go. period. :doh2:
yes, but considering we constantly have people asking "why does my jeep drive funny when I am on dry pavement in 4wd" we feel obligated to inform.

·
Registered
71 Posts
yes, but considering we constantly have people asking "why does my jeep drive funny when I am on dry pavement in 4wd" we feel obligated to inform.

I understand. But we can't protect everyone from their own ignorance. If the purchaser of a jeep or any product can't read and understand their owners manual......so be it. just saying

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I'd like to add to this (again).
There is no stated limit by Jeep.
And in a STRAIGHT line, you could take a Wrangler all the way up to the limiter in 4H.

(Although again, 4H is used for severe conditions, not for dry or wet
pavement...gotta read the owners manual).

With that said, 4H in slick conditions on a curvy two lane highway or an interstate cloverleaf at high(er) speeds is a good way to end up in a ditch. 4H does not help you stop any faster.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Appreciating that I know why our Jeeps crab walk around paved corners when in 4HI and a locker is locked or the Jeep is equipped with an LSD, but why does a Rubi in 4HI, with supposedly open diffs and transfer case, crab walk? Diff/driveline friction?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts