Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a question-
My 97 2.5 runs great but when cold and weather getting colder is cranks I think longer then it should . Once warmed up it starts right up..
It isnt really long but a second or two longer then I think it should.
SO how does yours start ? right up or a few cranks

thanks
P.Scott:popcorn:

·
Registered
196 Posts
The cold weather does effect things for starting. Colder fuel can actually gum up and be harder for the injectors to spray. A cold battery also cranks the starter slower. Having a higher output cold cranking amps battery can help. More amps to spin the starter faster and harder helping in cold weather starts. My girls tj starts nice in cold weather. 800 cca battery. Turns that starter real fast and strong.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
IAC IAC IAC

its a valve on the throttle body that auto adjusts for cold starts, if its dirty, it won't.
pull the throttle body clean it and all the sensors connected then do a seafoam treatment.
i would bet you see all kinds of results

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Put yourself in your Wranglers place. I'm slower getting up in the cold. In Wrangler year, I've got about 150,000 miles on me.

It happens.

Course when we get warmed up, look out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mine to, gonna try this...

IAC IAC IAC

its a valve on the throttle body that auto adjusts for cold starts, if its dirty, it won't.
pull the throttle body clean it and all the sensors connected then do a seafoam treatment.
i would bet you see all kinds of results
Mine is 97 4.0 that I just did plugs, wires, cap, rotor on. She runs terrific, and starts up fast when it's all warmed up already, but after sitting all night or a couple days, it takes probably 4-5 seconds to start. Going to do this trick and maybe get a better battery, it's about time for one anyway.

Thank you, and will post results.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,618 Posts
My suspicion is your slow start after sitting overnight is caused by a leaky check valve in the fuel pump. When it leaks, the fuel drains down out of the engine where it is supposed to stay put for fast starts and down to the gas tank. The extra length of time to start is the extra time it takes the fuel pump to get fuel back up to the engine.

If the following test technique substantially speeds up how long it takes to get start, a bad fuel pump is almost assured. On the first start of the morning, turn the ignition switch on-off-on 4-5 times, pausing a second between each cycle, then start it. That will give the fuel pump more time to get fuel up to the engine if it had leaked down past the fuel pump.

·
Registered
722 Posts
My TJ took a while to start first thing in the morning. I replaced the fuel pump. Now I have the opposite problem; it starts up first thing, but subsequent starts take a second. :facepalm:

·
Registered
54 Posts
My suspicion is your slow start after sitting overnight is caused by a leaky check valve in the fuel pump. When it leaks, the fuel drains down out of the engine where it is supposed to stay put for fast starts and down to the gas tank. The extra length of time to start is the extra time it takes the fuel pump to get fuel back up to the engine.

If the following test technique substantially speeds up how long it takes to get start, a bad fuel pump is almost assured. On the first start of the morning, turn the ignition switch on-off-on 4-5 times, pausing a second between each cycle, then start it. That will give the fuel pump more time to get fuel up to the engine if it had leaked down past the fuel pump.
I'll check that in the AM, thank you! A throttle body cleaning sure won't hurt either...

·
Registered
135 Posts
No one I know in the NA, where the temperature can go as low as 20 degrees below zero, has ever worried about how long it takes to start a vehicle. There are simply too many variables, some you can control and some you can't. As long as it starts without running the battery down to the point it where it can't start, I wouldn't worry how long it takes. Just never touch the gas pedal. On both new and older vehicles, I've found it helps to crank a few seconds, give it a few seconds rest, and then crank again when you're dealing with temperatures below zero.

·
Registered
204 Posts
depends on how cold..
-30*C(-22*F) well its slow maybe 5-10 turns if lucky and it will start not being plugged in but its definitely hard on it to do this.. i should say some vehicles struggle alot at -30*C it almost exponentially gets harder to start at this point.

colder than that it might not turn over fast enough to start without plugged in -40(same for F and C) it doesn't want to turn over.

plugged in usually it starts right up.
Warmer than -15*C (+5*F) it starts fairly normal though.

Start up is a lot more oil centric than anything else.
aside from battery charge that is.
if you use lighter weight oil in the winter it will def start easier.
but make sure to change it if you do this type of thing.

if you think its going to be colder than -20*C (-4*F) then plug it in.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The coldest temperature I ever started up a vehicle at was 16 degrees F below zero. It was my wife's XTerra with 5W-40 oil and no engine block heater. It would barely turn over on the first few cranks. Cranked for about three seconds each time with maybe a 6 second pause in between. Started around the 5th crank. But I wouldn't guarantee that all vehicles, even new, would start at this temperature. The XTerra probably had the perfect combination of battery and fuel injection efficiency.

·
Registered
135 Posts
With our last and current vehicles (Rodeo, Tacoma, 2 XTerra's, RAM 1500) with over a combined total of 250,000 miles, I've never once replaced a battery. And this all in Northern Vermont and Northern Adirondacks. All batteries were sealed with side terminals and all vehicles received factory recommended maintenance. If I replaced a battery dependent on start time, I would have been broke by now. But I noticed the battery in my 2003 Wrangler X is refillable with top terminals. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought this type of battery was a relic of the past. Chrysler is either in for nostalgia or too damn cheap to put in a modern battery. I have no idea what this battery can do in cold weather because I don't drive the Wrangler in the Winter.

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
Cold contracts and heat expands, so any thing subjected to these conditions is going to perform differently because.............

·
Registered
135 Posts
I stand corrected. Both the RAM and XTerra have refillable batteries and top mounted terminals. What through me off was not once did I ever check the level in the batteries so I just assumed they were sealed. I don't remember what was in the Tacoma and Rodeo but not once did I ever check the fluid level in these batteries either.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
... it starts up first thing, but subsequent starts take a second. :facepalm:
I run into this fairly often. I'll start the engine, then seconds later discover some reason to shut off. The subsequent restart is often very slow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts