Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Realistically, how hard is it to install a TF 2.5" lift? I'm not mechanically gifted although I have worked on my own vehicles here and there (nothing major). I've got a few basic tools but would probably need more. I'd definitely need a jack and stands. Also no garage so I'd be doing it in my condo parking lot. Should I attempt it by myself or just pay the $500 to get it installed?

·
Registered
658 Posts
I watched it once being done to my jeep that I paid 400 for and was wondering why the heck did I?. later I did one myself for my nephew and it was easy. took 4 hours and 6pack of beer on my driveway

you need 2 6-ton stands, a good floor jack that can go about 15" up. you will need metric wrenches - 15, 17, 16, 18, you can substitute with 13/16 7/8 and 5/8 and 1/2. better to have 2 of each as you will be using them at the same time to hold a nut and to work on the bolt head, a hammer, large flat screwdriver, torque wrench and 6-pack or 2.

if you will need to install bumpstops or something doesnt fit, a drill and a grinder are helpful

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Definitely suggest you watch the lift videos from your manufacturer and the ones on YouTube. We've installed five or six now with our friends out in our shop. It's definitely a weekend warrior do-able mod! :thumb:

Also pay close attention to the suggested tools list that comes with your lift and make sure you have everything they recommend.

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
Just did mine a little over a month ago. First time ever tackling something big like that. Took my time, me and another guy, and it took us most of the day. Shop would have been quicker but satisfaction of doing it myself was worth the time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just did my lift today. I had never done one but with some help it took about 5 hours. Definitely make sure you have all the tools it suggests and watch the video a couple of times before the install. I was glad I didn't pay someone else to do it. Plus I got to learn a little bit about my Jeep.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
I've done 2x TF 4" with 8 flex arm kits in my garage with my kids helping and it took a SAT/SUN to do it. Would probably only have taken 8 hours if I didn't have so much "help." :)

If you are going to do-it-yourself install, the short arms are easiest as there is no massive cutting, grinding or welding involved as with the long arms. With long arms you will need to drop the gas tank, too, but if you are going to pay to have your lift installed, then this is moot.

It is always a nice thing, if you can find a local Jeeper with the lift you are looking at and ask to take a drive in it to see how it handles. Some (most) lifts effects on driving and handling are night and day better than stock, so post a question for your area.

One added bonus to doing it yourself, is that you become intimately familiar with your suspension, and will know how to make field repairs if/when the time comes.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
First lift install took a friend and i 10 hours. Couple mistakes but my biggest issue was rust/seized bolts.

I highly recommend. After getting the coils in, loosen all 16 control arm and track bar bolts, give the jeep a good shake and torque at the NEW ride height.

Favorite/needed tools
Set of gear wrenches to 22mm
Long breaker bar, Harbor freight $15 iirc
Rubber mallet
Crow bar
CDI torque wrench
Pair 6 ton jack stands
HF 3 ton aluminum jack

Good luck :)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the words of encouragement! I don't have all of the tools I would need but probably have a pretty good start. I keep putting off getting it installed because I have so much extra stuff that I purchased with my lift (Rancho drop brackets, grade 8 bolt kit, track bar, etc.) that I really want to make sure is installed correctly.

Plus I'd really like to understand the mechanics of everything in case I ever need to work on it myself on the trail or something... it was my initial plan to install it myself but my dad kind of scared me off of doing it by making it sound much harder than you guys do.

Total parts to install for me would be TF 2.5" lift, Rancho XL9000s, Rock Krawler front track bar, TF exhaust spacer, Grade 8 bolt kit, and Rancho LCA drop brackets. I get off at noon on Friday with most of the day Saturday and all day Sunday I could work on it. I might give it a shot!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
A lot of shops are really shady when it comes to lift kits and rush everything. When you do it yourself you can make sure it is done right and torqued correctly. Good luck in your build!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ordered a jack and stands today, I'll need to pick up a torque wrench but other than that I think I'm covered on tools.

Quick question though, it looks like the frame has to be drilled for the rear track bar bracket. Will a 5.2 amp drill be enough to do the job? I've only got a small drill at the house for doing odd jobs and it itsn't very beefy...

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
Thanks for the words of encouragement! I don't have all of the tools I would need but probably have a pretty good start. I keep putting off getting it installed because I have so much extra stuff that I purchased with my lift (Rancho drop brackets, grade 8 bolt kit, track bar, etc.) that I really want to make sure is installed correctly. Plus I'd really like to understand the mechanics of everything in case I ever need to work on it myself on the trail or something... it was my initial plan to install it myself but my dad kind of scared me off of doing it by making it sound much harder than you guys do. Total parts to install for me would be TF 2.5" lift, Rancho XL9000s, Rock Krawler front track bar, TF exhaust spacer, Grade 8 bolt kit, and Rancho LCA drop brackets. I get off at noon on Friday with most of the day Saturday and all day Sunday I could work on it. I might give it a shot!
That is the exact set up I installed except I did a TF front Trackbar in place of yours. It took me and a bud 11 hrs to do everything. That was taking lots of smoke/beer breaks and rereading the instructions every time.

If you ordered the correct TF 2.5" kit w/o shocks then you will not need to drill out anything for the rear Trackbar bracket. The one supplied with your kit will be the axle side bracket that attaches with a U bolt and uses the LCA bolt. Sounds like you're good to go.

I did the grade 8 swap last right before final torque check. Oh, on that note, ignore the directions and wait until the very end to install your rear bumpstops. If you install them when you are told there's no way to get a torque wrench on either side of the upper control arm bolts.

Good luck and if you need any more tips I recommend getting in touch with KJeeper10

-Joe

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I took the advice here and tackled the lift on my own. Took me about 11 hours over the course of 2 days to get it installed. I still have to install my track bar, grade 8 bolt kit and Rancho drop brackets but this weekends priority was the lift. Would have gone much quicker and easier if I hadn't smashed my finger right at the beginning but it's on now!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Well I took the advice here and tackled the lift on my own. Took me about 11 hours over the course of 2 days to get it installed. I still have to install my track bar, grade 8 bolt kit and Rancho drop brackets but this weekends priority was the lift. Would have gone much quicker and easier if I hadn't smashed my finger right at the beginning but it's on now!

Great job, looks great! I also installed my lift and it's rewarding in so many ways. You know it's done right, you have a better understanding of your Jeep and you can spend the money saved on more upgrades!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Nice work! The control arm brackets are easy to do while the truck is on the ground.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I installed with a friend my lift last week. OME coils, shocks, front and rear adjustable track bars rear swarbar link and moved rear swaybar link to front. I knew nothing but what I read hear and found on internet. My buddy has a shop but it is mostly bedliner and painting but he had everything we needed. It was very rewarding doing it on our own and you learn vital info about your jeep.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just did mine myself on a gravel driveway. Wasn't too bad. Just a bit concerned on the torque of the bolts since I bought a crap craftsman torque wrench. Feels good to accomplish it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts