Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Rock Hard 4x4 bumper coming soon. I have watched videos on removing the stock bumper and it makes it look easy. But so did the videos on doing a brake job on my Honda and I could not break the caliper bracket bolts loose by hand. Am I going to need air tools to remove the bumper?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
If you have a socket set and know how to use it you can remove and replace the bumper.
If you have children under 5 and they are bored, they can probably do it for you.

No air tools needed, but you may need a breaker bar, and you will need a torque wrench.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Thanks for the info. Will post up picks of the new bumper once I get it on.
Keep in mind, I have read that the fog lights in the standard bumpers and those in the HR bumpers are not interchangeable. So that might give you a bit of a problem if your not prepared for it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just pulled mine to put a towing baseplate on. Pretty easy. Couldn't get my torque wrench on some of them so went with 3-fingers-white method instead of 2-fingers-red.

·
Registered
345 Posts
If you have a socket set and know how to use it you can remove and replace the bumper.
If you have children under 5 and they are bored, they can probably do it for you.

No air tools needed, but you may need a breaker bar, and you will need a torque wrench.
Penetrating spray (WD-40 is good) or (believe it or not) Coca-Cola will do the trick. Just let it soak a few hours before hitting those bolts if the bumper's been on there a while.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keep in mind, I have read that the fog lights in the standard bumpers and those in the HR bumpers are not interchangeable. So that might give you a bit of a problem if your not prepared for it.
Hmm, believe the video I watched showed that they work. But they make several bumpers so maybe they work for some and not others. Hope they work because I was counting on it.

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,299 Posts
I have the full width lowered winch mount Rock Hard 4x4 bumper. The fog lights on my 2015 Willys JK fitted perfectly - didn't even need to trim them.

I did get some fog light harness extensions - I know some folks get them to fit but the extensions made it easier. I go mine from Quadratec but I can't find them on their site...

Install was very straightforward. A couple of the bolts were a little hard to get at....but I am still pretty new at this stuff

Attachments

Reactions: jp4me

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have the full width lowered winch mount Rock Hard 4x4 bumper. The fog lights on my 2015 Willys JK fitted perfectly - didn't even need to trim them.

I did get some fog light harness extensions - I know some folks get them to fit but the extensions made it easier. I go mine from Quadratec but I can't find them on their site...

Install was very straightforward. A couple of the bolts were a little hard to get at....but I am still pretty new at this stuff
I have the same bumper on my 2014 JKUR. Can't recall any difficulties. The stock (and eventually LED) fogs fit in with no problems aside from a small bit of trimming on the LED fog housing attachment flanges for insertion clearance. I used wiring extensions from eBay to avoid having to unfasten the wiring bundle clips to reposition and connect the stock wiring.

·
Registered
730 Posts

That is a nice looking bumper.

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,299 Posts
That is a nice looking bumper.
Thank you. I have the aluminum one to save weight (wheel at stock height) but it is also available in steel which is cheaper. And all Rock Hard 4x4's stuff is Made in the USA - and they are awesome people to deal with. Their stuff used to on perpetual back-order but they expanded their production/warehouse recently and that problem seems to have been resolved too....

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Their stuff used to on perpetual back-order but they expanded their production/warehouse recently and that problem seems to have been resolved too....
I ordered and they told me it would be about 2 weeks to ship and it shipped in about a week. Can't wait to get it put on. Ordered the fog light extensions per suggestions here too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts