Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's not hard to do. The hardest part is getting the bolts loose from the exhaust without breaking them.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do you need to remove any other parts to get to the exhaust manifold? it looks like i got to take a bunch of stuff off to be able to remove them...yeah not breaking them might be an issue lol it is rusty as hell.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
If it's anything like the 4.0 (header and intake share bolts) then it's a pain :doh: I had to replace mine not long ago and ended up replacing a water pump too, had to take the intake off and pull the header up and out and broke the power steering pump mount that was also my water pump lol

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
You don't have to take off the fuel rail just unhook the fuel lines and leave it in the intake, that what I did when I put on my new header

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Hmmm that's a good question, the gasket I got had metal on both sides and paper in the middle :doh:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a 2.5L also, I tore it all down in under two hours, taking my time and labeling everything like plugs and vacuum lines. I had to wait a week for parts, then took less than 2 hours to build it back up. I had to replace the 7/8 inch freeze/expansion plugs on the head. And flushed the radiator really well!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Lot of variables, but in my case it started with an audible exahust leak. Upon inspection, it appeared the two rear most studs were missing. Looking closely the rear one was broken off in the head, the next one was actually missin.g. Trip to the auto parts store for two exhaust manifold studs and nuts. Had to drill out the rear one (hardest to get at of course), tap the hole for the stud. wrench in the two new studs. No more exhast leak.
Time...probably 2-3 hours. Really a job for a good mechanic, but if you are simply missing a stud, then a 10 minute job for yourself.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
i have to replace mine because on of the bolt heads is gone. how long should that take. Cant have it down for more than a day
The time really depends on how well prepared you are for the job. If you have all the tools/gaskets you need it could be done in 5-6 hrs easily. If you are running all over the place chasing down a gasket here and a bolt over there it will add some time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.