Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 89 YJ with a 4.2 and an AX-15. I really need to go to an automatic and would like to keep this YJ. How tough is it to swap it to an auto and is there a step by step someone knows of? I did a search but either I failed or there wasnt one here.

Thanks in advance for your comments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, was actually wanting to go to a stock one. Lots of people go to other models but I figured stock would be an easier conversion since all the parts should be direct bolt on?

·
Registered
452 Posts
I'm fairly new, so don't know everything involved. But since I just 'nuttered' my '90 4.2 with an automatic, if your conversion involves a different MCU, you're welcome to mine.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Did see a guy that locked the clutch pedal down and made a foot rest.. so much easier going from auto to manual..

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm fairly new, so don't know everything involved. But since I just 'nuttered' my '90 4.2 with an automatic, if your conversion involves a different MCU, you're welcome to mine.
Thanks, I will do some research and let ya know! BTW, I know where Pahrump is, been there for May Madness before.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I installed a tf999 in my jeep. It's not to hard to do. You need a longer rear drive shaft a shorter front shaft, flex plate, shifter, brake pedal for a auto. I used a b/m hurst style floor shifter. You may need a longer input shat for the transfer case. I bought a tranfer case that came off a auto. The jeep I bought needed a tranny and transfer case. It cost about 1 grand.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I installed a tf999 in my jeep. It's not to hard to do. You need a longer rear drive shaft a shorter front shaft, flex plate, shifter, brake pedal for a auto. I used a b/m hurst style floor shifter. You may need a longer input shat for the transfer case. I bought a tranfer case that came off a auto. The jeep I bought needed a tranny and transfer case. It cost about 1 grand.
Thanks, this is the route I would go too. Direct fit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts