Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant make u my mind on what i would need, this is my first jeep. I found one with everything i want but its 3.73. I live in the yukon so there are mountains so the 4.10 would be nice for them, but nothing is close and your going 85mph on the roads so the 3.73 would be nice. I wont ever go bigger tires biggest would be 33 and more so just for wider profile. Now if i get the 3.73 and feel bogged down, is it a easy fix to change it to 4.10? Or would i have to replace other stuff also?

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Now if i get the 3.73 and feel bogged down, is it a easy fix to change it to 4.10? Or would i have to replace other stuff also?
$1200 to $2000 to regear. And it isn't a DIY project, as it requires specialized skill and equipment.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Stoop did u drive the 3.73? I have 3.21s with 33s and it handles fine, but im in the city . 3.73 should be more then capable unless u plan on 35s.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I just got my Jeep with 4.1. It really is happy zipping around town(I mean ZIPPING) and at 55 to 60mph on the highway. It travels fine above this speed, but this is just where I can tell it is happiest and the engine is purring along. Go 3.73 if highway is a big part of your driving. I've found the torque much more than ample on my 4.1.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Its all opinion based. If going with auto 3.73 is plenty for 33" or smaller. 3.21 can do 33" very well. If manual 3.73 for sure and if you plan to add a bunch of gear and run the mountains 4.10 might be better.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm on 3.73s and 35s (plus probably 1000# of upgrades) and I don't have a single complaint.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Get whichever you prefer or have access to get, but if you go 3.73 don't waste your money swapping to 4.10- you won't see enough difference to justify the cost.

I'd look for a 4.10 vehicle just to have it up front and not question it, but if you can only find 3.73s you'll be fine. Most 33" tires are only about 32.8" anyway and the stockers are a hair over 32" so switching to 33s would be right on the verge of not noticeable.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
Do you have dealers that carry Rubicons with 3.73? The norm is 4.10.

Some dealers do order it with the 3.73 to save gas. You could also custom order one.

I have a Sport with 3.73 and did a front axle swap. Luckily for me at the time, his Rubicon came with the 3.73 so I didn't need a re-gear. Might have killed my budget.

I ran 33's for a while, ran great. I'm running 35's now, not bad. 4.10 would be nice, but not worth the money to re-gear.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ya so 33" tires and 3.73 would be fine to do all kinds of moderate off roading/crawling lotz of wet marshy areas here also? im so new at this ita over welming and i dont want to ger the wrong gears. And just so i know the mpg is the same on the 4.10 and 3.73 as long as you stay below 70mph? And besides that is there any benifet to the 3.73?

·
Registered
892 Posts
3 simple reasons not to change from 3.73 to 4.10

1. Factory warranty will be gone on new gears.

2. Regearing will cost $1200-1500 minimum.

3. There will be minimal difference. Not worth the cost for such a small difference in gearing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts