Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Haven't posted in a while. I currently run 285/70/17's with Mammoth black wheels a barricade front bumper with LED's and a smittybilt xrc 9500 winch with synthetic and a 52 and 22 inch lightbar. Time for a lift. I basically want to get the best possible 2-3 inch lift I can get--without spending an absolute fortune.
I am looking at and pretty set on the new Mopar 2 inch lift with fox shox. I have not looked into the 3 inch but the maximum tires i will probably ever run is 35's and i know the 2 inch mopar lift will clear those so I do not know if i need the 3 inch. It is also way more expensive. I don't want to spend over around 1200-1600.

My question is, if i get this 2 inch kit, is it something i can install myself? I have worked on go karts and built many things my whole life I have a lot of tools ranging from complete socket sets to compressor to just about every screw driver wrench, drills, power tools, things like that. The only tools i really don't have are a grinder, welder, and torque wrench.

I don't have a car lift so i would also have to buy jack stands or try to use one i am not sure. I am just wondering how complicated it would be to install this kit.

Thanks for the help!

·
Super Moderator
15,376 Posts
Install is a breeze for someone with average mechanical skills. Just pick you up a couple of nice jack stands, they're a good thing to keep around.
I say go for it :thumb:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
The only thing I would add is a torque wrench and flat pry bar. They serve their purposes. Any 2.5 inch lift will clear 35s with no problem. I personally have a aev with geo brackets and I'm happy with it. There's plenty of quality lifts that will fit the bill for less than 1k.

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
Breaker bar...definitely get a decent quality 18" breaker bar. I had a few bolts that a heavy impact wouldn't take off. It just makes life easier. Also comes in handy when checking torque as you can just put it on the bolt head then wedge it again the grand or the ground to use your torque wrench. Other than that I say go with what's been posted above. Just take your time and follow the instructions/videos posted here and elsewhere online. I installed the "Most Popular Lift Kit on WF" without ever having done any kind of suspension work before. It took a while, but now I know what's going on under my jeep. Go for it!

Joe

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies... I will have to get a breaker bar I used one when helping installing my friends bumper and it was magnificent. I just heard from people that replacing the springs was hard but who knows they could be wrong. But other than that this is all good news. Hoping to order the 2 inch fox shox mopar kit this weekend. Very excited. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
53 yr old desk jockey here who hasn't worked on trucks in 20years. I installed a 2.5 lift in about 11 hours myself. (was sore the next 2 days) If you can unbolt and re-bolt stuff, it is no problem. I would get a 1/2 drive impact gun along with the breaker bar and jack stands. Watch some YouTube videos!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I did my 2.5" lift in about 6 hours. Make sure you buy quality jack stands in the 6K+ range. You need the height advantage these offer to work under and swing the axles down far enough to remove the springs. The smaller ones will not give you enough elbow room or axle rotation clearance. Follow all instructions so you torque bolts back with the suspension in the correct position.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts