Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to share the steps I took to install the RC9 Alpine premium audio upgrade in my 2015 Altitude JKU. I wanted the factory Alpine option when I was searching for a new Jeep because it sounded great for a factory system. Unfortunately, this upgrade wasn't available in any Jeeps that I liked on the dealer lot, and I didn't have time to wait for Jeep to build one to my specific wants. The more questions I asked about doing this Alpine upgrade in a base system Wrangler, the more folks told me it couldn't be done. This only made me more determined to accomplish it. Yes, I could have installed an aftermarket system which would have sounded as good or better, but I've had an aftermarket amp and sub stolen out of my previous jeep. As you know, it doesn't take much for a thief to slash open a soft top and take whatever he/she wants. Plus, I liked the clean look of the factory setup over running wires to the battery, chassis, etc. Although it wasn't easy, here is a video outlining what I did. Special thanks to Benny, from @Mopar Online Parts; who was super helpful in getting me the parts I needed and helping me troubleshoot with Mopar.
This information is only for educational purposes, and I'm not recommending the install. There are no guarantees or warranties expressed or implied with this information, and I am not responsible for any damage to your vehicle that may occur if attempting to duplicate my install.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Very Professional install video. Nicely done. I Agree, something to be said for Stock especially when stock is really very good.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
I suggest a PM. An answer to that question in open Forum will derail this thread IMO.
He already alluded to it being costly but the over arching goal was good sound with a stock appearance.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I suggest a PM. An answer to that question in open Forum will derail this thread IMO.
He already alluded to it being costly but the over arching goal was good sound with a stock appearance.
Just my opinion.
Sure, that'd be fine. I'd prefer a stock appearance as well and wouldn't mind doing this myself.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Sure, that'd be fine. I'd prefer a stock appearance as well and wouldn't mind doing this myself.
Just a suggestion not trying to be thread nanny. I've just seen these go down the rabbit hole too many times. The minute the price tag gets mentioned its troll time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just a suggestion not trying to be thread nanny. I've just seen these go down the rabbit hole too many times. The minute the price tag gets mentioned its troll time.
Oh, totally understood. I didn't interpret this as you being a thread nanny. No worries.

·
Registered
531 Posts
amazing work, Im lucky I got an 2015 Altitude with the Alpine upgrade... FYI I have different front speaker covers,,, they say Alpine on them

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Nicely done.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Great job.

After looking at this video, this is why you want the Alpine from the factory, I'm in the same boat, Alpine wasn't available on the lot, but I'm not sure I want to even attempt this.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
The harness is the pita, and last, but not least, the kick in the teeth to pay for the dealer to flash it................Nice work though I didn't think the rear harness would be present. You would figure the front harness would be universal. Could you have just used the replacement harness and just plugged everything in? Granted maybe more work.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, all. The harness is very disappointing because I wish Jeep would have made it universal like you mention. Especially since they run the subwoofer cabling to the rear of the Jeep. Plus, they could sell a bunch of "upgrade" kits for those of us stuck with the base system. As far as plugging in the replacement harness, that was my original plan. I quickly realized I would have to completely disassemble the front dash, pull out the existing harness, and run cables through the firewall. Even though stealing wires from the replacement harness was difficult, it was much easier than using the whole harness.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Thanks, all. The harness is very disappointing because I wish Jeep would have made it universal like you mention. Especially since they run the subwoofer cabling to the rear of the Jeep. Plus, they could sell a bunch of "upgrade" kits for those of us stuck with the base system. As far as plugging in the replacement harness, that was my original plan. I quickly realized I would have to completely disassemble the front dash, pull out the existing harness, and run cables through the firewall. Even though stealing wires from the replacement harness was difficult, it was much easier than using the whole harness.
Well done, that is something I would tackle too. Of course sometimes I feel putting shards of glass in my eyes is better than what I did for a living.........:) Probably a pull out in a wrecking yard would be best/least expensive route. You would just have to get one that would let you do it yourself.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'm always amazed when I watch videos like this, I could probably pull most of it off, but when it came to the wiring aspect, it would be 100% fail!!!

Did you think about alternative sub locations and/or everything alpine but different sub?

Sounds nuts, but the only reason I didnt' get the alpine system was I didn't want to lose that cool storage area. I love putting all kinds of nick knacks in the space.

·
Registered
671 Posts
the kick in the teeth to pay for the dealer to flash it
Aside from these expensive head units being archaic, paying or having to visit the dealer to activate features is the #1 reason not to buy the 730 or 430 units.

Every single time you need something simple done it's a dealer visit.

I am quite positive I will not get close to the $2000 value I paid for the 730.

I am not sure why the features cannot be activated by the owner, after all we paid a fricken lot for these things.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm always amazed when I watch videos like this, I could probably pull most of it off, but when it came to the wiring aspect, it would be 100% fail!!!

Did you think about alternative sub locations and/or everything alpine but different sub?

Sounds nuts, but the only reason I didnt' get the alpine system was I didn't want to lose that cool storage area. I love putting all kinds of nick knacks in the space.
I actually replaced the front high speakers and the sound bar speakers with the alpine upgrade prior to putting in the amp or harness. It sounded SO much better than the base speakers, and I contemplated doing what you're saying. I was going to put in a rockford fosgate PBR punch amp in the front dash and power the sub with it. I think this would be a great compromise with speakers that drop into the factory locations, and then not having to rewire anything. You'll still have to tap into the subwoofer wiring that runs to the rear of the vehicle as it terminates to nothing in those large connectors on the front passenger's side.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts